Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

severinus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Am I the only user having real problems with the charger,I have just bought my 3rd charger in the 4 years I've owned the mbp15".At 79£ in the UK this is a totally unexpected expense.The charger runs very hot during charging and is the same for all the chargers I have bought-there is a design fault with this charger! I refuse to buy cheaper 3rd party chargers in case my mbp is damaged.
Is Apple aware of this issue? I will be more wary of buying an Apple laptop when I come to upgrade.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Am I the only user having real problems with the charger,I have just bought my 3rd charger in the 4 years I've owned the mbp15".At 79£ in the UK this is a totally unexpected expense.The charger runs very hot during charging and is the same for all the chargers I have bought-there is a design fault with this charger! I refuse to buy cheaper 3rd party chargers in case my mbp is damaged.
Is Apple aware of this issue? I will be more wary of buying an Apple laptop when I come to upgrade.

The charger on my 2010 is still fine and my 2013 you must be doing something I am not. If you have apple care they replace chargers for free.
If you use the fold out toggles to wrap the cable (or wrap it around the block) then don't, this will cause them to fray and crack.

All chargers get hot apple or otherwise don't sweat it, as you give us no idea as to why you have to replace yours it's difficult to say but from my experience apple chargers and cables have been very good despite a hard life.

Reactions: SDColorado

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

I use 3rd party chargers all the time on my rMBP. I don't buy the ones that are compact like the Apple factory charger. Rather I buy the bigger bulkier units that look like something for a Dell or Lenovo. The result is more bulk, but runs much cooler than the factory Apple charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.