Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Ok, I am sure this has been posted numerous times. But I can not find a setting/ combo that I need.
I know you can create rules. I would like the following rule:
If junk> mark message as read
If marked as read> move to trash.
Will this work? Because the way I have it set up now it only partially completes, it will move to trash if junk but to mark as read. I basically do not want to see any junk mail. I am getting alot of it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not in front of the Mac right now, but, should work. Just need to make one rule with both actions. For the rule, add an action for "move to Trash" and "mark as read".

If I understand how you have things currently setup, sounds like you have two rules, and once one rules is matched, then all rule processing stops (ie. does not look for other rules to execute).

So, change your junk rule to have both actions. And you should be able to keep the "move to trash" rule for read items.

And depending on who you have for a mail provider, they probably have rules that can be used. For example, I have gmail, and I have many rules setup there to do similar things. That way can access/manage trash/junk across all platforms, in case something is not trash/junk (eg. Mac, other computer via web browser, iOS devices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.