Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCarmona

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2014
Hello,

Although I'm an avid user of the Apple Mail client installed in the Mac, I have found that when composing email, the formatting and grammar review are not theist options; particularly when sending important emails.

What free alternatives are there, to use with an iCloud account?

Thank you!

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hello,

Although I'm an avid user of the Apple Mail client installed in the Mac, I have found that when composing email, the formatting and grammar review are not theist options; particularly when sending important emails.

Thank you!
Apple's App Store, Outlook from the 365 Office Suite is free for personal use.
Thunderbird 115.0.1 from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you need word processing tools (grammar review?), wouldn't it be better to use a word processor to compose and review the message, and then copy it (all) and paste into a blank Mail message (in rich text format) ??

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
If you need word processing tools (grammar review?), wouldn't it be better to use a word processor to compose and review the message, and then copy it (all) and paste into a blank Mail message (in rich text format) ??
Someone, Prompt my memory on how to set up your keyboard combo "option+Command+s" to start Sleep.
Did it once and now can't remember how!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Thank you!
Outlook is pretty decent. So is Thunderbird. Any standard e-mail client will work with an iCloud e-mail account. But, if you have 2-factor enabled, you'll need to generate an App-Specific password.

armhol

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I'm mostly happy with Apples email client BUT it is awful at detecting spam! I'd swap clients if i was recommended one that would do a much better job.
In Apple mail, I mark spam as such, block the sender and then delete. My settings are set to move previously blocked emails into the trash so i don't even see them, but i see many many blocked senders in my trash folder!

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I'm mostly happy with Apples email client BUT it is awful at detecting spam! I'd swap clients if i was recommended one that would do a much better job.
In Apple mail, I mark spam as such, block the sender and then delete. My settings are set to move previously blocked emails into the trash so i don't even see them, but i see many many blocked senders in my trash folder!
Try Thunderbird, the latest version has been updated considerably, both functionality and UI. The spam function is better than Apple's mail IMHO (how could it be worse?). There are also many add-ons available.

Reactions: armhol

armhol

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Try Thunderbird, the latest version has been updated considerably, both functionality and UI. The spam function is better than Apple's mail IMHO (how could it be worse?). There are also many add-ons available.
Thanks David, Thunderbird seems to be the one people are recommending. I'll give it a go.

Do you know if it will import all my locally saved emails from my 'on my mac' folder?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks David, Thunderbird seems to be the one people are recommending. I'll give it a go.

Do you know if it will import all my locally saved emails from my 'on my mac' folder?
Never tried that as I never used Mail. I know it has an import option. Try and see what happens.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Yeah, I’m a diehard Mozilla Thunderbird fanboy. That redesign is sharp! :cool:
IMG_1923.jpeg

So far, this is the only add-on that I’ve kept installed.

Also, the developers of Mozilla Thunderbird finally begun working on an iOS version.

Reactions: Marko1965
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.