Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
The scenario is a collection of mail in a mailbox that has multiple replies to an email I sent out, and there is no interleaving of mail responses from different initiating email. For instance, a mailbox with ten emails, three of which are in response to initial email #1 all received on day 1 and five of which are in response to email #2 all received on day 6. So no overlap of the time interval covered by each thread.

If I step through this collection starting with initial email #1, either using arrow keys or the mouse, when I step into each response email I see only the initial email. Then when I step into initial email #2 I see that one, and then only email #2 as I step through the responses to that one. The only way I can see any of the responses is to double-click on it so it's viewed in a separate window. (Added later: A nuance. If a response changes the subject line slightly, even Re: instead of RE:, that email does display when I step into it.)

This behavior is much like a demented "conversation" setting, except I have all conversation settings disabled and you don't see the responses below the initial email, just the initial email.

In the "View" menu, I have "Use Column Layout", "Show Date and Time", and "Show Message Size" enabled, and none of the conversation options enabled (all off). In the "Viewing" tab under Settings only the "Display unread messages in bold font" option is selected.

I have had this problem across several versions of macOS (currently on Sonoma 14.5) and have finally become annoyed enough with it to ask for suggestions. There may be solutions, but this is a hard problem to do searches for.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.