Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
This has been a gripe for a long time. I have multiple email accounts. When I create a new (not a reply) email the program takes the To: address of the currently viewed email as the From: address in the new email. This has caused me grief in the past.

Outlook on my PC and the 3rd party email program I use on my Android allows me to define a default account/From: email address.

Reactions: owlsdaughter

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
My preferred account is already check marked in that panel. I just changed it to another account and created a new email. From: address is not the default I checked.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I don't know the answer to your question but as for a 3rd party mail app recommendation have you tried the Spark email app? I've used it as my only email program since it was released and I love it.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I use newton mail for all of my email accounts across multiple devices. Its free but offers a pro trial for their supercharger features. I personally pay for their pro features though.

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
I don't know the answer to your question but as for a 3rd party mail app recommendation have you tried the Spark email app? I've used it as my only email program since it was released and I love it.

I will look at Spark. And Newton.

owlsdaughter

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
I have the opposite problem, but is VERY frustrating. When I use REPLY, it does not reply from the email which the email I am replying to was sent. It defaults to another one of my emails. This is VERY confusing for the recipient, who may even have a filter that allows only the address they used to contact me.

So the only solution is to find a 3rd party email package and forget Mac Mail?

(and yes, I have tweaked the Preferences multiple times, to no avail).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.