Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hi,

Each time i send a new email, i get the email sound for an incoming mail. This only started today. any ideas why or how to stop this?

mbp 2011

thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You shouldn’t be getting the incoming sound for an outgoing message unless you’ve changed your incoming sound to what is normally the outgoing sound.

Regardless, to turn off sounds other than incoming it’s Mail>Preferences>General and uncheck “Play sounds for other mail actions”.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
I'm getting both - when i send an email it makes the incoming sound of 'ding' and then the outgoing sound of 'swoosh'

I have just un checked 'play sounds for other mail actions' - and the swoosh disappeared but the incoming sound still bing'ed when i sent an email!!

bizarre!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
I've seen this for quite some time. I have a sound set for email from a group. When I send to someone in that group I also get the sound when it sends.

I find using rules with sounds to be flakey. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. PITB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.