Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This on a 2010 MacBook running High Sierra, a 2015 MBA running Monterey, a couple of iPad 6s running17.0.2 and a iPhone 14 Pro also on 17.0.2.

I have a web hosting account with Host Gator on which I have set up two different e-mail accounts with different domains. I use one email account and my wife uses another. This has been working fine for years. But, just this morning none of the Mail apps on any of the above named devices can get mail from or send mail via either of the Host Gator email accounts. Looking at Connection Doctor indicates a TLS authentication error. Other mail accounts (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) are not affected.

We are currently at our condo which supplies us with a double-NATed Internection connection which normally works fine. We are using a TP-Link Deco X20 which also normally works fine.

I couldn't figure this out so gave up (natch) and went out for coffee at a place that has a decent public Internet. There, both my iPhone and iPad were able to send and receive Host Gator mail just fine. I messaged my wife, still at the condo, who said that hers still didn't work.

When I get back to the condo it's still not working for me, so I try connecting the ancient MacBook to my iPhone's WiFi hotspot and, Bingo, the Host Gator mail works. Unfortunately, this did not work for my wife's newer (2015!) MBA.

I also tried turning TLS off on all the devices. It worked for the iOS devices, but not with either of the MacBooks. On both of the MacBooks Mail gets stuck when trying to save preferences with TLS disabled and has to be forced to quit. This is bizarre.

So, how is it that TLS authentication fails for only one email host (Host Gator) and then only on this one Internet connection?

I have a strong feeling that this will remain an unsolved mystery.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.