Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
On my ipad the iPhoto size is 1.06gb. On my iPhone it is 8.8gb. Both devices are set to optimise local storage and keep hi res files in the cloud. How in the world can I sort this out??

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Key word is optimize local storage. With this turned on, the size will never be the same across your devices. It's optimizing your storage. Either your iPad has less storage available than your iPhone; or you've looked at more pictures on your iPhone, causing it to download the full hi res version for those. This is normal and is nothing to worry about.

If you really wanted them to be the same size across your devices, then turn off optimize storage (assuming you have enough space).

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Key word is optimize local storage. With this turned on, the size will never be the same across your devices. It's optimizing your storage. Either your iPad has less storage available than your iPhone; or you've looked at more pictures on your iPhone, causing it to download the full hi res version for those. This is normal and is nothing to worry about.

If you really wanted them to be the same size across your devices, then turn off optimize storage (assuming you have enough space).
You are probably spot on. The ipad is 32gb and the iPhone is 64gb. Both have similar apps installed and the 64gb iPhone has a lot more free spare. I was wondering if the iPhoto was inflating the file size to help decrease the free space available. And I'm hoping as my free space decreases on the phone, so will the iPhoto file size.

systemBuilder

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Be aware that many simple file systems allocate storage in fixed sizes "blocks". If the block size is 256KB, a 1K photo will take all 256KB, wasting 99.6% of the storage! The "block" size (the smallest chunk of flash that can be allocated) is a function of the flash drive, but also can be something set by the file system according to design limits in the file system itself (i.e. if the file system has 16-bit block numbers then a 4GB phone will have a block size of 4GB / 64K = 64K, whereas the same file system on a 128GB phone will have a block size of 128GB / 64K = 2MB !!) So that could also be contributing to the disparity in your storage size(s).

In your case the storage size is 2x larger on the iphone vs. ipad, so this might account for a factor of two smaller in storage size on ipad (1GB -> 2GB). As you said though it's 1GB vs 8GB. As bigblur said, the "optimize" feature is probably caching photos on your ipad. Since there isn't much storage on your ipad, it's probably throwing away more photos (caching fewer photos) to save on storage. If you download a huge game on your ipad you might find a few days later that your photos are taking 500MB, becaue a "cache eviction" policy has thrown away the less-looked-at photos.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.