Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamhunt727

Suspended
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Want to check what's the major difference between series 3 apple watch and series 4 apple watch.
thinking to get one but if there's no major change so why not go with series 3 which is cheaper than series 4.
What's the actual price of both nowadays?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Screen size. 4 bigger than 3.
Features. Series 4 has noise detection. 3 does not have. 4 has fall detection. 3 does not have. 4 has ECG, 3 does not have.
In summary, series 4 is like iPhone 5s Plus, whereas series 3 is like iPhone 5. There is no 5s Plus but you know what I mean.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Lol @Shirasaki
If money is not an issue I would not hesitate on purchasing the series 4.
I actually thought I was content with my stainless steel 3 that I bought in April, but I recently purchased the 4 (aluminum) couple weeks back and have not regretted it.
I sold my series 3 for almost the same amount as the cellular S4. Best thing is I still have my Milanese band for pretty much free of charge.
Overall having both on I love the series 4 from the feel on my wrist to the look of the bigger screen.
It’s up to you to decide, but one advice I’ll input will be to not overlook buying Apple care....it is a must (in my opinion)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Want to check what's the major difference between series 3 apple watch and series 4 apple watch.
thinking to get one but if there's no major change so why not go with series 3 which is cheaper than series 4.
What's the actual price of both nowadays?

Aside from the larger display/and other variations, the most understated difference with the Series 4 is 64 Bit dual core processor, where as the Series 3 does _not_ have 64 bit architecture. So, what does that translate to? It means the Series 4 will have more longevity through support through apps and OS updates over the Series 3. In the grand scheme of things, that’s major.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I recently bought my first Applewatch ( a new series 4) and I went that route for the longevity of the 64 bit processor. When I set it up I turned on the noise app and forgot about it. A week ago I went to a Guns n' Roses show and not only was my watch giving me bedtime reminders from the pillow app but I got noise alerts from the noise detection throughout the concert. Damn, I'm getting old.

Reactions: xraydoc

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
Aside from the larger display/and other variations, the most understated difference with the Series 4 is 64 Bit dual core processor, where as the Series 3 does _not_ have 64 bit architecture. So, what does that translate to? It means the Series 4 will have more longevity through support through apps and OS updates over the Series 3. In the grand scheme of things, that’s major.

Agreed it is huge, but I don't think Apple will pull the plug on 32-bit watches anytime soon.

The S3 is still available new, and with its lowest-ever price point this holiday season, they have to be selling like hotcakes. The S3 isn't just an old model that is filtering out as people upgrade, it's a current product that is continuing to bring the Apple Watch to new customers who have never owned an Apple smartwatch before.

As Apple has transitioned into a services company, we have seen the product lifecycles extended. For strategic reasons, Apple also needs to retain a strong value watch in the product line to keep any upcoming low-cost competition from the new Google-owned Fitbit at bay. Take a step back, and I think the S3 still has quite a bit of life left in it. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.