Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkirkby85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I'm brand new to the forum and in need of help if anyone is able?

I want to get rid of my TV and use my iMac as a regular computer sometimes at a desk, but then sometimes sit on the sofa (just opposite) and watch Youtube, Netflix etc.

I can do this now but i have to make the screen text really big and i need to awkwardly balance the keyboard and mouse on knee. (basically, it is awkward)

What i'd like would be a program or peripheral that i can use a remote control with and sit on the sofa and use the mac like a smart TV. Would the Apple Remote or Siri Remote work?

Is this possible and what are my best options?

Thanks!

Rob

Last edited:

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Check out Plex
While I love Plex, I am not sure there aren’t plugins for Netflix or YouTube - I could be wrong. But to truly solve your text size, you will need some media application to drive the Mac.

Have you looked into using your iPhone (if you have one) as a mouse and keyboard? Applications like Mobile Mouse Pro install and agent on the Mac and then an iOS app. And you drive the Mac with your iPhone. Text size is still an issue, but rids you keyboard and mouse.

rkirkby85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
While I love Plex, I am not sure there aren’t plugins for Netflix or YouTube - I could be wrong. But to truly solve your text size, you will need some media application to drive the Mac.

Have you looked into using your iPhone (if you have one) as a mouse and keyboard? Applications like Mobile Mouse Pro install and agent on the Mac and then an iOS app. And you drive the Mac with your iPhone. Text size is still an issue, but rids you keyboard and mouse.

I have thought about that but i really want to use a remote control and not my phone.
Ideally, i would open an application from the desktop and that would have a media player style app open which i can use with the remote to do what i need

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
I have thought about that but i really want to use a remote control and not my phone.
Ideally, i would open an application from the desktop and that would have a media player style app open which i can use with the remote to do what i need
You can get an Apple Remote, configure it for your iMac and control Plex that way.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/208052807-controlling-the-app/

Given what @wardie said, I am interested if there is some unofficial apps for Plex for YouTube and Netflix. If so, I would certainly point you to Plex.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Go back in time to Snow Leopard and enjoy Frontrow, which let you do all that, and add the Netflix hack, and kick back to control it all from your couch with a simple infrared Apple Remote, operable without having to buy a separate iOS device, have it on your WiFi, and be looking at its screen.

Just one of a hundred unique, useful, well done features that used to make paying a premium to buy a Mac a rewarding decision. ...all discontinued after Jobs passed away.

Reactions: jasnw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.