Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

I was wondering if in Adobe Photoshop CS2 I can take the huge image I have and cut it down into two precise sizes, so that I can make it span two screens.

Hope that makes sense. I want to take two chunks from it, one 1680x1050 big, and one 1280x1024 big. These being he resolutions of each of my monitors. If you could tell me how I can do this I would much appreciate it thanks.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Just open the original image, do the first crop, save it as a separate file, undo that change, then do the second crop and save it as another separate file.

(If you select the crop tool you can input the desired size of the crop and place where you want the crop to take place).

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Sounds good, thanks. But Im a bit of a Photoshop noob. Sorry. I have roughly entered where I want to crop, where can I enter the values?

Ok I have just seen before selecting a crop area, there are crop values at the top, I have entered my desired crop values, but how do I execute the crop? Sorry for being a pain, thanks.

art gardiner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Cairo, Egypt
Sounds good, thanks. But Im a bit of a Photoshop noob. Sorry. I have roughly entered where I want to crop, where can I enter the values?

Ok I have just seen before selecting a crop area, there are crop values at the top, I have entered my desired crop values, but how do I execute the crop? Sorry for being a pain, thanks.

Select the crop tool in the tools palette, input your desired dimensions / dpi, and position your crop tool where you want to start your crop - click and drag. Your image will be grayed out where it will be cropped, with the portion remaining (visible as before). If you need to reposition the cropped selection - while still in the crop tool, position your cursor (crop tool) within the clear visible section and drag it where you want. Otherwise, you can use your arrow keys on the keyboard to adjust it that way. When you are satisfied with your crop selection, simply double click the center of the visible section of your image, or click the "check mark" in the upper middle/right portion of the application. (To the right of the "Do Not Enter Symbol" - this button will cancel the crop selection.)

HTH,

Art

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.