Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMMUGAMMU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
I got bored with that old styled mouse pointer that doesn't look right after those GUI changes made in past years. So decided to make one that fills my needs. Use Mousecape to change the cursor (too bad it still was not compiled for M1 but works).

Download my cursor from here

Preview.png

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Interesting. It really hadn't occurred to me to worry about the design of the default cursor. It's just one of those UI elements I stopped noticing years ago.

AMMUGAMMU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Macos got some strange UI changes last years. Overall it is ok, but I feel sad about the lose of famous OS X icons and ui elements with poping out depth and textures, it was like something real. Now it is flat as any other modern OS. But the mouse is still the same, the one that I didn't liked even years ago.
On a 1440p monitor with Big Sur or Monterey I can't unsee it ;) It is even worse than it was 10 years ago when at least anti aliasing was doing its job. Feels just not right when all is rounded but this little thing has ugly corners. My inner perfectionst can't handle it on every day basis

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That feels like a mouse from iPad OS for me. I never really thought about pointers all that much. I think the last time I changed a pointer was in the Windows 95 days when you could do fun themes (but I was a kid then).

My biggest use of the cursor now days is when I’m presenting something via Microsoft Teams and I give the mouse a shake and the cursor gets really big - helps draw eyes to parts of the screen.

Mouse scape - will look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.