Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eN0ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
Am I the only one drawing a blank on generating PDFs through scripts, quick actions, shortcuts, etc? There's very rarely any error message; it just does ... nothing. Press the keyboard shortcut, right-click the script or action in the context menu, etc --> nothing happens and I can't find a new PDF file anywhere. Time was when this function was one of best things about macs.

To be clear: printing to PDF through the print menu / command from within an app, that works the same as always. Likewise those Apple apps that have an "Export as PDF .." file menu command, that works nicely too. But no show with any form of Finder-based script or action.

Are others encountering this? Any thoughts?

eN0ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
Thanks for responding. It's a while since I've tried say an AppleScript (in which I'm semi-literate on a good day). But what I've mainly tried lately is shortcuts (as in scripts created in Shortcuts.app), and also a keyboard shortcut that should be built into the OS.

For the latter - see e.g. this article. I was using that way back a decade+ ago. Tried to set it up again recently. No show. Hitting ⌘+P (or +P+P) just sends it to the physical printer.

For the former I've tried off-the-rack shortcuts like this one and roll-your-own ones based on it.

Attachments

• screenshot_106.png
    screenshot_106.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.