Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Okay, we had what will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity for pictures. All of our family had gathered for my parents 80th anniversary. Thought I had all the picture stuff taken care of but when I downloaded the pictures from my camera, I found out that I had not changed the resolution to a higher setting, so all of the family photos with everyone in it are at 640 X 480. So, this is what I am wondering. Is it possible to develop one of those then take a picture of it at a larger resolution and be able to enlarge it more than I could the way it is now? No one else seems to have any usable pictures so I'm trying to figure out a way to use the ones I have.

Thanks for your help.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
At the museum when I need to enlarge an image i use Genuine Fractals. I discovered he software a few years ago via the American Memories site run by he Library of Congress. Anyway I can take an image from a post card size and have them blown up and printed out on our plotter which is 42 inches on a side. Anyway OnOne Software has some great resources. I have no connecctin with this company other than as a user for about 8 years. check it out at
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2&gclid=CL-0qrnKh5sCFQkzawod-SIJoA

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Okay, we had what will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity for pictures. All of our family had gathered for my parents 80th anniversary. Thought I had all the picture stuff taken care of but when I downloaded the pictures from my camera, I found out that I had not changed the resolution to a higher setting, so all of the family photos with everyone in it are at 640 X 480. So, this is what I am wondering. Is it possible to develop one of those then take a picture of it at a larger resolution and be able to enlarge it more than I could the way it is now? No one else seems to have any usable pictures so I'm trying to figure out a way to use the ones I have.

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry to be a pessimist here , but at 640x480, your resolution is so low, that even the programs mentioned are not going to be able to do anything meaningful for you. In particular, since this was a family gathering, you're going to be looking for detail in people's faces, which simply isn't possible, even with fractal programs. What fractal programs do is make it *appear* like there is more detail, but obviously, nothing can add in detail in reality.

One thing you can do is make a slide show suitable for DVD with those pictures, but that's really the only medium where such a low resolution will work.

I'm sad for you. I can imagine the disastrous feeling you had when you realized what had happened.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thank you, all

I was pretty sure that the resolution here was the killer. Unfortunately for us the ones we had taking pictures were friends of the family, and while they are great friends, I am sure the image outcome wasn't their top priority. The ones that actually had enough resolution to use had tops of people's heads cut off, etc... I really appreciate all your responses. I guess it's just one of those sad details of life that we all have and end up having to live with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.