Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i make folders (located on my desktop) invisible or unaccesible to other users in my network without moving them?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can't this be done through the OS by itself? Does it need utilities?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Of course. If you're familiar with using the Terminal:

Type the following (including a space at the end) into the Terminal:
chflags hidden

Now drag the folder you want to make invisible into the Terminal window (or manually type the path in the Terminal) and hit Enter.

To view Invisible files and folders, simply hit Command+Shift+. (period key) in the Finder or an Open/Save dialog box.

To unhide the folder, run the same commands as you did to hide the folder, only change chflags hidden to chflags nohidden

Reactions: zoran

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If you are only worrying about access over the LAN, and not direct access from your own computer, just change the sharing permissions for your desktop folder to make it inaccessible via file sharing.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If you are only worrying about access over the LAN, and not direct access from your own computer, just change the sharing permissions for your desktop folder to make it inaccessible via file sharing.
Thats what i want to do yes but i don't want the red "minus" icon to be viewable on every folder i choose to stop access! Also is there some way to have those folders just look empty or disappeared?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
zoran wrote:
"Can't this be done through the OS by itself? Does it need utilities?"

It can be done by the OS using terminal, but you have to be correct with your commands.

It's actually easier to use a 3rd party app.

I find that Pathfinder does the job for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.