Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, I may be jumping the gun a bit - we'll see how long it takes for the D700 pre-orders to actually ship. But given that I won't be able to afford pro glass for a while now, and I'd want some lighter walk-around glass anyway, I pulled the trigger on a couple lenses. I decided to go with used lenses for now because a) My credit card is already threatening to catch on fire, and b) I expect (or at least hope) Nikon will be refreshing their mid-tier lens lineup over the next two years.

Nikkor 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 AF-S - I found a used one (in "excellent" condition) on Adorama's website. Thom Hogan liked this one, and I didn't find many people with anything bad to say about it. Most people say it's sharper than the 24-120, and I don't care that much about VR over this range.

Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D AF - KEH had a "like new (-)" one available. The reviews I've read say its main weaknesses are when wide open - and when I'm shooting wide, I'm invariably stopped down to f/8 or f/11. Apparently this was one of Galen Rowell's favorite lenses. I was really waffling between this or the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8, but in the end the extra 2mm carried the day.

I figure I can run them through their paces on my D70, just to make sure there aren't any big issues with either copy.

I'm not dealing with the long end at the moment, although I'm really hoping Nikon updates the 80-400 to AF-S in the reasonably near future. I don't shoot long all that much, so I think the 80-400 is plenty good glass for my needs - but even if it goes AF-S tomorrow, I'm going to have to wait a bit.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Congrats on the purchase. The leap from D70 - D700 is sure gonna feel good :)

I know nothing about those two lenses, but you seem to have done your homework. I just wanted to say congrats, and that I'm supremely jealous :)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Why not have a look at the Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8? I've got one on order as soon as I clear out my 18-70. Its a full frame lens and from what I've read at Fred Miranda its a great lens. You can find it at KEH for $250-$300.

Other options would be off brand lenses like the 28-75 f/2.8 from tamron and the 24-70 from sigma.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Congrats on the purchase. The leap from D70 - D700 is sure gonna feel good :)

I know nothing about those two lenses, but you seem to have done your homework. I just wanted to say congrats, and that I'm supremely jealous :)

Thank you. I have to admit I swallowed pretty hard when I hit the "submit" button on my order. It's a lot of money. But I do think this camera will do me for as long as it lasts.

Why not have a look at the Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8? I've got one on order as soon as I clear out my 18-70. Its a full frame lens and from what I've read at Fred Miranda its a great lens. You can find it at KEH for $250-$300.

Other options would be off brand lenses like the 28-75 f/2.8 from tamron and the 24-70 from sigma.

For me, having a reasonably lightweight option is important. My long-range plans (meaning it might be several years off) includes the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, or perhaps whatever f/4 pro-level Nikkor they offer once I can afford expensive glass. I did look at the lenses you mention; they just didn't mesh with my personal thinking. Even when I do eventually own the 24-70 f/2.8 (or whatever), it's probably not going to be the lens I schlep around with on a trail. Once you get to f/6 or f/8, the differences between these lenses usually disappear. But my wants/needs may be very different than yours (or anyone else's for that matter).

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Sorry to interrupt, but have you considered getting a couple of second hand (or new) fast primes?

It'd help us if you listed what you already have, and what you plan on selling.
A tip: try to sell to European people. Post ads in websites like Nikon Passion (they're French, but their Euros are as good as any others :D)
I cannot even remember how many times I've seen something on sale in the US, and the guy didn't want to sell to Spain, even if I was ready to pay him more than he'd have gotten in the US.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Sorry to interrupt, but have you considered getting a couple of second hand (or new) fast primes?

It'd help us if you listed what you already have, and what you plan on selling.

You needn't apologize for "interrupting"! It's not like you weren't on topic anyway, and this is a discussion forum. :D

As far as full-frame goes, I already have a 35mm f/2, which should have its uses with a full frame camera. And as I mentioned earlier, I had considered the 20mm, but decided against it. I might pick up a 50 f/1.8 now that I'm going full frame - the 35 filled that role on my D70. But if I pick up another prime I'm leaning towards the 85mm f/1.8.

I'm not selling anything; but my other lenses are DX-specific.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Any reason you wanted the D700, full frame? The D300 is a really sweet camera and a good bit of change less, enough for a decent lens.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Since it's a full frame camera, a 50mm will be good. If you can afford it, the Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AIS is a gun lens, but the 1.4/1.8 are both pretty good.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Any reason you wanted the D700, full frame? The D300 is a really sweet camera and a good bit of change less, enough for a decent lens.

I'm sorry if I took too much liberty in doing this - but it seemed like a good enough question that it deserved its own thread. That'll let people express their opinions without pulling this thread off track (such as it is... hehe).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.