Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2017
I came across a malicious web page that completely freezes Safari on iOS. The whole display (including bezels) becomes unresponsive and I managed to get out of it thanks to the home button. Undoubtedly any (future) iOS devices without home button would give their users a much harder time.

The web page shows a dialog telling you to call a “tech support” number and after hitting “cancel” all of Safari freezes and your whole iPad (in my case) ceases to respond to touch input altogether. I got out of it by hitting home, going into airplane mode and then relaunching Safari a number of times until I was quick enough to interupt the malicious page reloading from cache.

Contacting Apple to let them know about this is way too convoluted. Their support pages don’t have a category for this and, since I’m currently abroad, load in a language I don’t speak with no obvious way around this. So I’m posting it here first and some of you might forward this to Apple.

Now, before going any further, what are the pros and cons of posting the actual link publicly here? And is this already a known issue?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It might be possible that you have visited some of the websites that contains a bulk of spam data or malicious data quite often and this is the reason why your browser freezes and stop working as well. In order to avoid such cases in the future, you should always double check the website or install any powerful anti virus apps so that it could be controlled.
Powerful antivirus apps for iOS?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. Lookout Mobile Security
2. McAfee Security
3. MobiShield
4. Norton Mobile Security

5. Protection for iPhone by Byte Labs
6. Trend Micro Mobile Security
7. Avira Mobile Security
8. F-Secure SAFE
9. VirusDetector Pro

10. VirusBarrier

P.S. some of these apps are free whereas some of them requires sign up process.
What would those do as far as going to sites in Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.