Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Hi everyone. I wanna purchase the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard. I've found a listing on eBay that's selling new open box ones. I'm not sure how they're doing this but more importantly, I'm curious since they are powered devices, what are the chances these might have some rogue silent malware or other nefarious stuff embedded in them? Is it worth buying these to save a buck?

Here's the link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152029368591

Thanks.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Technically that would be possible, but as of now, only proof of concept attacks have been done, and the whole thing is just too complicated.

Nothing to be afraid of, except of them being fake.

Reactions: tennisproha

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Technically that would be possible, but as of now, only proof of concept attacks have been done, and the whole thing is just too complicated.

Nothing to be afraid of, except of them being fake.
Thanks. I know it's really a paranoid question to ask but considering just recently 90% of Apple accessories sold directly by Amazon were found to be fake, I think it's a fair question. Considering everything else that's been going on lately on the hacking front, input device would be ripe target to be tampered with. Especially since they contain full logic boards and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.