Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alvesik

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster
I updated to 9.3 monday, and immediately it was buggy mainly in the control panel (flashlight greyed out, not showing active media in control panel and also the play button kept freezing in the music app.) Tuesday, I noticed about a 20% drop in battery after not using my phone for an hour and looked at usage and it said camera had used 22% of my battery in the background. Today however I declared 9.3 a disaster when safari started going cookie crazy and long story short the only way many accounts would allow me to log in is change my cookie settings and then go into private browsing mode and repeat when I needed to log in again. So i restored my phone to an icloud backup from sunday as I have done at least 12 times before over 4 years. After I gave my apple ID, it then prompted me to enter the account information for "iplus4u.com@email.com" and I skipped and it told me not all of my data would be restored, even though it did restore perfectly.
This issue has come up for other people and the general explanation is that one way or another you've gotten pirated media from them. However, I have no music files locally stored on my device and all of my apps restored no issues, and I have never jail broken. My phone works beautifully now, absolutely no complaints, but could I have been one of the few unlucky non jailbroken ios users to be infected by malware? I changed my apple id password, but I am truly curious as to what happened. Any ideas?

Reactions: lovelycrystal33

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster
I updated to 9.3 monday, and immediately it was buggy mainly in the control panel (flashlight greyed out, not showing active media in control panel and also the play button kept freezing in the music app.) Tuesday, I noticed about a 20% drop in battery after not using my phone for an hour and looked at usage and it said camera had used 22% of my battery in the background. Today however I declared 9.3 a disaster when safari started going cookie crazy and long story short the only way many accounts would allow me to log in is change my cookie settings and then go into private browsing mode and repeat when I needed to log in again. So i restored my phone to an icloud backup from sunday as I have done at least 12 times before over 4 years. After I gave my apple ID, it then prompted me to enter the account information for "iplus4u.com@email.com" and I skipped and it told me not all of my data would be restored, even though it did restore perfectly.
This issue has come up for other people and the general explanation is that one way or another you've gotten pirated media from them. However, I have no music files locally stored on my device and all of my apps restored no issues, and I have never jail broken. My phone works beautifully now, absolutely no complaints, but could I have been one of the few unlucky non jailbroken ios users to be infected by malware? I changed my apple id password, but I am truly curious as to what happened. Any ideas?
Generally after an update, iOS has to reindex files and perform a few maintenance tasks in the background within the first 12-24 hours of the update. This could lead to the sluggishness of the device in question. Is that email address yours or not? Did you sign in to your device with this Apple ID? Malware won't be downloaded from an iCloud backup, and it's pretty unusual to get malware on an iPhone unless you have installed apps from third-party websites or used a malicious configuration profile.

Chances are you just had some initial lagginess and since everything is fine now, you don't have much to worry about. Just use only your accounts on your devices and stay away from apps downloaded outside the App Store.

alvesik

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Generally after an update, iOS has to reindex files and perform a few maintenance tasks in the background within the first 12-24 hours of the update. This could lead to the sluggishness of the device in question. Is that email address yours or not? Did you sign in to your device with this Apple ID? Malware won't be downloaded from an iCloud backup, and it's pretty unusual to get malware on an iPhone unless you have installed apps from third-party websites or used a malicious configuration profile.

Chances are you just had some initial lagginess and since everything is fine now, you don't have much to worry about. Just use only your accounts on your devices and stay away from apps downloaded outside the App Store.
I had never seen that email before in my life so I googled it and variants of that email sometimes gets prompted when other people attempt restorations, as evidenced in forums going at least as far back as 2011. Apparently the website is a common source for pirated media and the people who get prompted to log in tend to fail to recover their data. That's what i thought was extra strange because I don't have any pirated music and all of my stuff recovered perfectly. It's still odd to me as someone whose downloaded every intermittent iOS update since iOS 6, especially that whole cookies craziness, but I guess I may never know why it happened, I'm just glad everything seems to be working now and hope it continues to do so.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I had never seen that email before in my life so I googled it and variants of that email sometimes gets prompted when other people attempt restorations, as evidenced in forums going at least as far back as 2011. Apparently the website is a common source for pirated media and the people who get prompted to log in tend to fail to recover their data. That's what i thought was extra strange because I don't have any pirated music and all of my stuff recovered perfectly. It's still odd to me as someone whose downloaded every intermittent iOS update since iOS 6, especially that whole cookies craziness, but I guess I may never know why it happened, I'm just glad everything seems to be working now and hope it continues to do so.
Just never sign in with that email. Don't look for ways to circumvent the iTunes and App Stores if you don't know the security risks.

alvesik

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Just never sign in with that email. Don't look for ways to circumvent the iTunes and App Stores if you don't know the security risks.
Oh I don't ever get adventurous on iOS and don't intend to and I've gotten especially cautious on OS X because of the ke ranger ransomware. I'm acutely aware of the risks of the things I do. It's whatever though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.