Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
At my company we use 5 MacBooks, in the current situation we use 3 of those with one and the same Apple ID which is far from ideal. Now I got enrolled to the Apple Business Manager which doesn’t really makes much sense to me yet. The only wish I really have is to manage multiple user accounts. It would be great if a user account is stored via the cloud so someone can login at one of the 6 Macs with its settings/preferences. Any idea how I can achieve this? Would love to hear, I have been researching for days but not sure what the right solution would be.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
At my company we use 5 MacBooks, in the current situation we use 3 of those with one and the same Apple ID which is far from ideal. Now I got enrolled to the Apple Business Manager which doesn’t really makes much sense to me yet. The only wish I really have is to manage multiple user accounts. It would be great if a user account is stored via the cloud so someone can login at one of the 6 Macs with its settings/preferences. Any idea how I can achieve this? Would love to hear, I have been researching for days but not sure what the right solution would be.
Apple Business Manager is only one part of the puzzle. You need an MDM (mobile device management) system.

Reactions: zhrance

zhrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
Is there any default MDM from Apple, considering my wishes are rather simple. Or should I always use an external service like jamf? Or is that a overkill?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there any default MDM from Apple, considering my wishes are rather simple. Or should I always use an external service like jamf? Or is that a overkill?
Apple has Profile Manager, but it should never be used as a production tool because it's unreliable, depends on running a macOS Server, has no redundancy, and other issues. You might look at something like Jamf Now, which is less expensive and less featured than Jamf Pro, but might be suitable for you.

Reactions: zhrance

zhrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
Thank you so much for your quick reply, helps a lot! Going to try Jamf Now :)

zhrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
My journey continues, you can't manage users with a MDM. As the abbreviation suggests you can only manage devices but not users. Have to look at some kind of Active Directory service for Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.