Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergrandma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I recently purchased my first lens with a "real" manual focusing ring (Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM). Question: when I manually focus, I can turn the ring past the minimum/maximum markings on the distance window (no focusing occurs before the minimum focus distance or after infinity, of course). Is this action normal, and will it damage the focusing mechanism?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It won't damage the lens, you can rotate the ring a full 180 degrees or more (not sure why you'd want to if it's not doing anything).

If it was going to damage the lens, they'd make it so you couldn't turn it any further and give you a warning in the manual.

SLC

supergrandma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Thanks. It just kind of freaked me out when the focus ring turned past infinity. I'd hate to ruin a $350 lens after only a day.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It's something to do with the way most modern lens' optical formulas are designed and implemented. It is possible to focus beyond infinity with these optical formulas, and it does not harm the lens.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
It's something to do with the way most modern lens' optical formulas are designed and implemented. It is possible to focus beyond infinity with these optical formulas, and it does not harm the lens.
He's referring to the physical turning of the ring past any sort of focus distance. Full-time manual focus lenses allow you to do this (that I know of). Quite a difference from the non-USM/FTM lenses, eh?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
He's referring to the physical turning of the ring past any sort of focus distance. Full-time manual focus lenses allow you to do this (that I know of). Quite a difference from the non-USM/FTM lenses, eh?

I'm aware of that- I was just pointing out that not only does the ring turn beyond "infinity", the lens will actually focus beyond infinity as well. There are multiple reasons for this but for example many zoom lenses are varifocal, or the cushion is put in to account for thermal expansion in different environments or manufacturing tolerances. This is important to realize because if you are looking for maximum focal distance from the lens cranking the ring all the way to the stop probably isn't going to work.

http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/focus.html

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.