Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesPond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
Hi everyone, I just bought a new Macbook pro 14 after 5-6 years of using windows. Before that I always used macintosh systems and I always could manually add files inside my external hdd with time machine (outside of the backup folder ofc). Now with my new mac I was trying to do the same but seems like I can’t anymore add my files on the time machine hdd… anyone could explain me why and if there a way to do it?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
How are you adding the files? I just dragged/dropped some files to a TM disk from the finder at the root level. Stay away from the Backups.bacupdb folder.

CharlesPond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
I just try to drag from desktop to the tm hdd but staying outside of the backups.bacipdb folder. As I try to drag file near the pointer appears a deny mark and I can’t neither create an empty folder inside the hdd…

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 7.16.27 AM.png

I think this started with Big Sur, but when you select a disk for use with Time Machine it is designated as a Time Machine disk and made read only.

You could try reformatting the drive and making two partitions, then use one for TM and the other for storage like you mentioned.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
View attachment 1908092

I think this started with Big Sur, but when you select a disk for use with Time Machine it is designated as a Time Machine disk and made read only.

You could try reformatting the drive and making two partitions, then use one for TM and the other for storage like you mentioned.
You don't have to reformat it to add a volume (instead of a partition) to the APFS container. I've got 3 volumes on my one of my TM drives to use for manually copying files over. You can start with the partition steps but then choose volume.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 10.42.21 AM.png

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.