Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edsonytic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
Hello everyone.

First, an introduction you can skip.
I have a Macbook 5,1 (Late 2008 Unibody) and have been able to keep it updated thanks to the excellent tools made by dosdude1 and others. That however has meant that I have been victim of the Safari "feature" meant to prevent unauthorised enabling of extensions.

So far I had managed to keep them enabled by using a system started on 10.15.2 and updated from there, however this didn't work for the new Safari 14 because it disables some extensions upon its first run. This motivated me to find a way to manually enable extensions by editing some preferences file since all the advice regarding other solutions hadn't worked for me. I have found a way that worked for me and hopefully it will work for others as well. I decided to set this as its own topic since it seems to be an issue for both those of us running patched systems and some who do not.

Now the steps to do it:
  1. Install and run both Safari 14 and the desired extensions
  2. Close Safari completely (command + q)
  3. Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/AppExtensions
  4. Open the Extensions.plist file in a text editor (I used Atom)
    The file structure should now show a general <dict> tag under which you can find <key> values and their own <dict> tag for every extension.
  5. Add two new lines below each extension's <dict> tag with the following text
    <key>Enabled</key> <true/>
    You should end up with something similar to this:
    XML:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>extension.1</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>WebsiteAccess</key>
    <dict>
    …
    </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>extension.2</key>
    …
    </dict>
    </plist>
  6. Save
  7. Open Safari, extensions should now be enabled.
Important note: I would expect this file to be protected by system integrity protection, however that is permanently disabled on my system. If you run int any issues while following the previous procedure I would suggest disabling SIP.

kroniu

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
Hello everyone.

I have a Macbook 5,1 (Late 2008 Unibody) and have been able to keep it updated thanks to the excellent tools made by dosdude1 and others. That however has meant that I have been victim of the Safari "feature" meant to prevent unauthorised enabling of extensions.

So far I had managed to keep them enabled by using a system started on 10.15.2 and updated from there, however this didn't work for the new Safari 14 because it disables some extensions upon its first run. This motivated me to find a way to manually enable extensions by editing some preferences file since all the advice regarding other solutions hadn't worked for me. I have found a way that worked for me and hopefully it will work for others as well. I decided to set this as its own topic since it seems to be an issue for both those of us running patched systems and some who do not.

Now the steps to do it:
  3. Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/AppExtensions
    The file structure should now show a general <dict> tag under which you can find <key> values and their own <dict> tag for every extension.
    XML:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>extension.1</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>WebsiteAccess</key>
    <dict>
    …
    </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>extension.2</key>
    …
    </dict>
    </plist>
  6. Save
Important note: I would expect this file to be protected by system integrity protection, however that is permanently disabled on my system. If you run int any issues while following the previous procedure I would suggest disabling SIP.
Thanks a million!

caravella

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Hello,
and sorry for this question but where i can find this: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/AppExtensions

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
where i can find this: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/AppExtensions

This is in the Finder. Use the Go menu and choose Go to Folder, then copy in the line shown starting with the ~. Finder will then open the correct folder for you.

BTW, the ~ character means your Home folder - the one with your log-in name on it.

ukase

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
This worked but the prior config messed up my Adguard install. Now the App Store still thinks that I have Adguard installed.

Has anyone been able to successfully remove Adguard and force the App Store to reinstall?

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Annoying to have to do this at all I know what extensions I want to run so I use Firefox because I can actually install extensions Apples loss.

mplacer68

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
Hello everyone.

Now the steps to do it:
    XML:
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>extension.1</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>WebsiteAccess</key>
    <dict>
    …
    </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>extension.2</key>
    …
    </dict>
    </plist>
  6. Save
Thanks this solved my problem on my My MacBook late 2008 !

Thomajc

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Many thanks for the help -- this solution solved my issue putting 1Password extension in my 2008 iMac.

macOS-nerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
I've followed these instructions (and also confirmed I have SIP disabled) but the file gets overridden after I've made my changes and then launch Safari (14.0.2) again.

Is there a way to keep my changes persistent?

Thanks!

Update:

For those of you who might run into the same problem as above, I found that adding the code snippet exactly as it is written below worked:

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Enabled</key><true/>
    <key>WebsiteAccess</key>

Apparently breaking the "true" parameter on a separate line did not work? Odd - but it works now, so hooray!

Last edited:

wolvesboykev

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
Hi I too have the same issue and I’ve tried to follow the example given but my list goes on longer than that on the example provided

do I have to delete everything else underneath and only have what’s on the example?

I’m using Moped on a late 2011 Macbook Pro

I’m very new still

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 353

wolvesboykev

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
Sorry to bug you all but I still can't figure this out

Has anyone thought about doing a Youtube video on it?

I'm seeing everyone getting success with it but I'm not

Can someone please help ?

I screenshotted my screen above for reference

pr1nc3r0yc3

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
Sorry to bug you all but I still can't figure this out

Has anyone thought about doing a Youtube video on it?

I'm seeing everyone getting success with it but I'm not

Can someone please help ?

I screenshotted my screen above for reference
Just open Extensions.plist in text editor or any other app and add <key>Enabled</key><true/> after <dict>. I am attaching screen-shot for your reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 5.46.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 5.46.43 PM.png
    78 KB · Views: 405

Monocle_Mac

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
I got Honey to work does anyone know a way to enable bitwarden extension.

I’m on a patched Mac running Catalina.

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
Hello everyone.

Now the steps to do it:
    XML:
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>extension.1</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>WebsiteAccess</key>
    <dict>
    …
    </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>extension.2</key>
    …
    </dict>
    </plist>
  6. Save
Fabulous. Thank you very ,much, it works for Safari 15.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.