Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Is anyone experiencing any issues with either Apple maps or google maps on iOS 9or above? Maybe 3 different occasions I've noticed my vehicle is jumping around and not on the road I'm driving on. The other day on google maps, I was displayed as driving sideways and the map kept flipping side to side. It's hard to explain but it showed me going one way sideways and then reversed itself. At the time I used the GPS I had only 3 percent battery. I also spoke to apple and they said having a low battery shouldn't affect the use of GPS. Anyone else have strange issues running Apple or google maps on iOS 9?

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Is anyone experiencing any issues with either Apple maps or google maps on iOS 9or above? Maybe 3 different occasions I've noticed my vehicle is jumping around and not on the road I'm driving on. The other day on google maps, I was displayed as driving sideways and the map kept flipping side to side. It's hard to explain but it showed me going one way sideways and then reversed itself. At the time I used the GPS I had only 3 percent battery. I also spoke to apple and they said having a low battery shouldn't affect the use of GPS. Anyone else have strange issues running Apple or google maps on iOS 9?

No issues since that day. I am going to test it again when my battery is low.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
The issue could possibly be a weak gps signal or screwy cellular signal based on cloud cover, ground conditions, trees what have you.
I agree....It doesn't sound like a device issue....I've seen the gps in my car do the same thing....I read somewhere that they had been having issues with a some of the older satellites starting to drift, and keeping them in the correct position is becoming more of a challenge. Until they get some new birds up, we may be seeing more of this sort of thing in the future.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I tested it again in the same area however it was fine in the day time. Could have been the clouds. That seems very possible.

Reactions: magicMac

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Well still haven't experienced the same issue but sometimes when my maps is telling me to turn, it sometimes doesn't finish saying what she has to say. For instance she will say in 500 feet turn and not finish saying which way and the street name. It sounds like she gets cut off. I tried both Apple maps and Google maps and it did the same thing when I was about to turn. After about an hour it was back to normal. Strange. Anyone have this happen to them. My location on be maps was accurate so the GPS was working properly.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Looks like it's the Bluetooth cutting off the voice directions. When I disconnected it, the voice commands were fine. I've had issues with Bluetooth ever since iOS 8 on my iPhone 6. Not much has changed with iOS 9

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
clouds can't do much to GPS signal. But be advise that GPS coverage (and thus precision) vary during the day, in any location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.