Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
Apple lost my last bit of respect today.

In Maps there are 4 sections: search, favorites, travel guides and last visited/used.
A few weeks ago before all these updates all these sections were on the left side of your screen. Perfect!

Then I installed iPadOs 18. They invented the "mediathek". A bunch of clicks more to get to your travel guides.
Today I opened maps on my Mac for the first time. Same mediathek I expected.
But a click on it and on the far other side of my 27" display it opened.

On the biggest display of all my devices the longest way to get to your travel guides?
And the left column is 80% empty when you have not too many favorites?

They are not dumbasses, they are plain idiots.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Completely agree. What on earth were they thinking? It's yet another case of "If it aint broken, don't try and fix it". What makes it even more stupid is that Recents remains on the left bar and is the only persistent UI element along with Search. So you have a large grey bar for just those two functions!

Judging by how it works and appears, I can only guess that they've taken the iOS code and essentially plastered it onto the Mac app, as it works identically to the iOS app. But the reason it works on iOS is because the Search and Recents interface is the root menu, and tapping on Places-Guides-Routes springs up a new menu over the root. On the Mac version, Places-Guides-Routes springs up as a separate element on the right of the screen. Why not just move it to the left?

Absolute madness.

Reactions: foliovision

anthony131

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2021
This is absolutely bonkers. I can not overstate how much I ****ing hate this **** getting WORSE. I'm just trying to look for a dentist and all I see is every other everything I have ever saved in my city. There's 250+ things cluttering my search results.

This is one of those situations I wish I were able to look at first before upgrading. There was nothing wrong with Sonoma and there's barely any reason to upgrade. I keep telling myself not to upgrade and I let curiosity and temptation get the best of me. FML.

McMario

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
it is way beyond my imagination why they do this; maps ux wasn't really good, but instead of fixing major annoyances (icon size, to begin with), they do something completely idiotic - and again deliver something which makes me cry everytime I have to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.