Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmacmacr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
In the directory /Library/updates/zzzz031-51746, /Library/updates/031-46047 and /Library/updates/031-46450 their are update files already downloaded on my drive even though I have not downloaded the updates.

CoreADI.pkg
CoreFP.pkg
FirmwareUpdate.pkg
iTunesAccess.pkg
iTunesXPatch.pkg
MobileDevice.pkg
Safari9.1Yosemite.pkg
SecUpd2016-002Yosemite.pkg

Why are these files taking up space on my drive especially sine I have not updated from the App store?

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
United States
In the directory /Library/updates/zzzz031-51746, /Library/updates/031-46047 and /Library/updates/031-46450 their are update files already downloaded on my drive even though I have not downloaded the updates.

CoreADI.pkg
CoreFP.pkg
FirmwareUpdate.pkg
iTunesAccess.pkg
iTunesXPatch.pkg
MobileDevice.pkg
Safari9.1Yosemite.pkg
SecUpd2016-002Yosemite.pkg

Why are these files taking up space on my drive especially sine I have not updated from the App store?

More than likely it is just recognizing that those are the files that would be downloaded but haven't actually downloaded. Could you check the size of the folder and reply back.

Also, if you haven't updated I recommend just update. Many bugs fixes and patches are implemented and can make the system run faster as well as save space not only because the update files will be deleted once you update but because if there are less bugs and internal crashes then there will be less diagnostic files from crashes.

macmacmacr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
More than likely it is just recognizing that those are the files that would be downloaded but haven't actually downloaded. Could you check the size of the folder and reply back.

Also, if you haven't updated I recommend just update. Many bugs fixes and patches are implemented and can make the system run faster as well as save space not only because the update files will be deleted once you update but because if there are less bugs and internal crashes then there will be less diagnostic files from crashes.

the files have been downloaded. hence the file names the size doesn't matter.

macmacmacr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
I have both Install OSx updates and Install apps both unchecked or off. The files continue to be downloaded

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Slightly off topic, on those updates, mine decided to do a reboot at an inconvenient time after selecting the "later" option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.