Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm slowly moving all of my "howto" notes out of Evernote and into markdown formatted text files.

What I'm currently doing
Github
-Right now, I'm using Visual Studio Code for editing on Mac/Windows, and github to "sync" them. That works well as long as I remember to use git push to keep the repository up to date. I chose this solution so that I could access my notes from my work computer, which doesn't allow me to install cloud sharing apps like dropbox, but git repos are ok since we use and contribute to open source projects.

Technically, I can access the notes using a browser to access github, but it's not the best experience.
Access Score
Windows: ok
Mac: ok
iOS: fail
Work Computer: ok

Other ideas

ByWord
- It comes close. It's a markdown editor and has an app for Mac/iOS. For my work I can't use cloud service apps like iCloud dropbox, so that is out.

Access Score
Windows: fail
Mac: ok
iOS: ok
Work Computer: fail

Sync github and ByWord
Another option might be to do something complicated like every time I update github, have a process run to copy files to Byword's dropbox or icloud folder. I don't know if it would work. If it did, then I could have read-only access on iOS devices that have the ByWork app.

Thoughts? I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.