Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
iPhone and iPhone Mirroring show unread badge.

What's interesting is that if you mark new mail as read on iPhone or iPhone Mirroring, Mac clears unread badge, which is the expected behavior.

Btw I'm using Apple Mail app with @icloud.com address.

Yeah, it's a beta. Anyone else having this issue though?

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
iCloud Mail has a longstanding and well-documented bug that you may not have noticed before or just popped up for you — this is not a new bug with 18. The bug behavior is that state changes to mail messages are not pushed to iPhones and iPads (flag, read, moved) from the sync servers. When you open the app, it will do a full sync and the changes will occur, but not via push. I’ve been monthly filing bug reports on this for a year and Apple hasn’t closed any of the tickets (meaning they see it as an unresolved bug), but they haven’t fixed the issue either.

Reactions: addamas

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
So it seems like Apple fixed the "feature" finally in latest beta 2 (did check it on beta 1 - no luck)? Badge is updated not only for NEW mails, but also for READ, DELETED and even UNREAD events (when old message is marked as unread again on other device). All events except NEW are "fetched" (delayed a few minutes) contrary to NEW event which is pushed to device instantly (quite strange - all events should be pushed to Mail). It's been broken since iOS13 as far as I remember - 5 years to fix such annoying bug. Crazy.
Anybody could confirm my findings?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Typically, regardless of what fancy newfangled feature one uses, MacOS updates mails faster than iOS.

This is especially the case for IMAP accounts, as MacOS uses IDLE but iOS refuses to support it for some stupid reason. Probably to make iCloud push mails look better, except Apple's pretty crap at syncing even small amounts of text over iCloud anyway.

Ah, I feel better after that rant :)

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Typically, regardless of what fancy newfangled feature one uses, MacOS updates mails faster than iOS.

This is especially the case for IMAP accounts, as MacOS uses IDLE but iOS refuses to support it for some stupid reason. Probably to make iCloud push mails look better, except Apple's pretty crap at syncing even small amounts of text over iCloud anyway.

Ah, I feel better after that rant :)
"stupid reason" == power efficiency? Doesn't IDLE require keeping connection do IMAP server active? Apple is strict about power efficiency, which is stupid BTW, as their features like Find My consumes huge amounts of energy anyway (10-20% battery drain during night is not uncommon last years, as compared to 1-2% in the past).

Anyway, it's great they fixed this stupid and annoying bug at least partially. It's better to have unread mails badge updated after a few minutes that having to open Mail from time to time just to update the badge.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.