Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Hi,

I have the ATV 4K, latest firmware.

I have set 'Match Dynamic Range' and 'Match Frame Rate' to ON.

However, for some reason, it often reverts to OFF for both settings. I haven't made any changes to any settings when it happens. I just discover it because my movies are stuttering.

My ATV is connected to either my TV (Samsung) or my Projector (Vivitek) via my AV Receiver (SONY). None of them are 4K compatible.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Last paragraph any use?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288
Proof might be feeding the TV direct to see if it can work out what is needed and will switch correctly? Perhaps it cannot deduce the required through the amp?
Of course, assuming you have set HD version required?

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Thank you.

According to specs, all my equipment can handle all frame rates that ATV supports.

Also, strange thing is that it can work fine for a couple of days only watching 24p movies, and then suddenly, the Dynamic/Frame rate setting has reverted to OFF?

I still haven't found any pattern/use that should cause the settings to revert to OFF. I would also expect the settings to stay as I have set them. Why would they revert at all?

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
If your set up will allow for a simple bypass of the amp, try that and see if that is happy. Appreciate that is not always easy. I assume all cables and HDMI devices are to the min specification you require, probably would not work if they were not. No runs on the edge of distance that HDMI can cope with?

How long with the ATV?

Guessing ATV shouts out to Amp, "what can you take?" Then one day it shouts out and gets no reply so says "sod it, turning off".

Possibly.

Do you get the options in the menu as the article suggests?

Try to remember what you are watching to see where there is a pattern. That is one format trips up the whole thing. Happy at 24fps then one day it is a 25fps that throws the toys out the pram.

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
If your set up will allow for a simple bypass of the amp, try that and see if that is happy. Appreciate that is not always easy. I assume all cables and HDMI devices are to the min specification you require, probably would not work if they were not. No runs on the edge of distance that HDMI can cope with?

How long with the ATV?

Guessing ATV shouts out to Amp, "what can you take?" Then one day it shouts out and gets no reply so says "sod it, turning off".

Possibly.

Do you get the options in the menu as the article suggests?

Try to remember what you are watching to see where there is a pattern. That is one format trips up the whole thing. Happy at 24fps then one day it is a 25fps that throws the toys out the pram.

Thank you, all good suggestions. I will put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and dig deeper.

All cables are short and up to specs.

Yes, I get all options in the article. I also tried manually selecting all the various SDR video formats in the ATV (24, 50, 60 Hz), to make sure that my equipment would recognize them. No issues.

However, is it the intended function of the Dynamic/Frame rate setting, that it should revert to OFF if HDMI handshake for some reason goes wrong? I would prefer that it just shows an error message instead of messing with the settings you have made...

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Don't know about what happens when it is lost. Maybe the answer in the Apple forums if it is not here?

Never had the issue but running beta and connected direct to my TV. But if it were me, I would try connecting direct to the TV if it happens again and see what happens.

Another option is to change the HDMI input to the amp if that is an option. See if the issue follows that.

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Thanks.

I also posted in the Apple forum, so lets see if any luck there :) :apple:

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
I find that connecting my ATV to different equipment will mess with the settings each time it detects a different EDID.

Hmmm, that might be the issue, since it connects to either my TV or my Projector.

But, it doesn't revert the settings each time I switch between TV and Projector.

Strange...?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmmm, that might be the issue, since it connects to either my TV or my Projector.

But, it doesn't revert the settings each time I switch between TV and Projector.

Strange...?
The TV and projector support the same resolutions?

Is the atv completely powered off before switching from one to the other?

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Can you outline your set up. No idea if it will help but may jog someone to the solution or test tpo prove something is good. e.g. Swap cables
e.g ATV---AMP---TV HDMI input 1
|____ Projector HDMI input 1

Hmmm. Not displaying as I wanted, that vertical line is off the amp.

Hickup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Tried different HDMI cables?

Yes.
[doublepost=1533537900][/doublepost]
Can you outline your set up. No idea if it will help but may jog someone to the solution or test tpo prove something is good. e.g. Swap cables
e.g ATV---AMP---TV HDMI input 1
|____ Projector HDMI input 1

Hmmm. Not displaying as I wanted, that vertical line is off the amp.

It is like you have outlined.

ATV goes to AMP, AMP has two HDMI outputs, one goes to TV and the other to Projector.

ATV 4K
AMP: SONY STR-DN1040.
TV: Samsung UN65F8000.
Projector: Vivitek H1189.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have set 'Match Dynamic Range' and 'Match Frame Rate' to ON.
Looking at your equipment list, I wonder why would you set Match DR to ON at all?
This option is not for you until you acquire HDR-capable TV (and maybe AVR).
You shall keep your video output at SDR at all times. aTV should tonemap any HDR content to SDR, should you feed it with such. iTunes Store would stream you a separate, SDR version of the movie, so this tonemapping will not take place.
I have no idea how others (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) would handle this.

Match DR = ON means, that even if your aTV 4K video output setting has been set to SDR, it will automatically emit HDR signal from HDMI as soon as you play back HDR content. Thereby making your TV switch to HDR mode on the fly and back to SDR when playback completes.
Your equipment seems not to be capable of HDR signalling, so I do not see any reason to flip this switch.

Whether a display supports HDR signalling, is evident from its EDID.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.