Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
I want to get a couple of my photos printed in a large format to put on the wall but I'm not sure what option to go for. I think I'd prefer matt but is anything "lost" by printing it this way?

Also are there any particular post-processing things I should do? With the exception of removing dusk spots on iPhoto I don't pp as I don't really understand it. I'm going to pick between the following so if anyone has advice on anything to alter to make the print "work" better that would be great. Thanks.

3099473117_724ffd29be_b.jpg
3099469275_01e9d26237_b.jpg
3078824345_928e56044b_b.jpg
3078821271_c602c45a65_b.jpg
3058731961_36087670df_b.jpg

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Print those in luster. Has the saturation and contrast of glossy, without the reflections and fingerprint magnet factor.

x2. But I didn't know anyone other than SmugMug who produced Lustre prints (well, that's because I only order through SmugMug now).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you're going to put them under glass or UV blocking plastic so they'll last, then go with matte, as the surface reflections of the glass/plastic will make them look glossy anyway.

pinback pro

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
have you tried the metallic print from mpix. those would look pretty good in metallic. real pop.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Also are there any particular post-processing things I should do? With the exception of removing dusk spots on iPhoto I don't pp as I don't really understand it. I'm going to pick between the following so if anyone has advice on anything to alter to make the print "work" better that would be great.

Postprocessing? I'd do some minor crops and check/corect the color balance. You also need to size the file for the desiged print size, or just let the printer do it for you, but then you loos control over the process. Also sharpeing should be the last step after resizing for printing. You may want to make sure you monitor is calibrated to you can preview the prints on-screen. Make sure the color space is sRGB.

You can skip all of this if you like. It all depends on how much yu care about the quality of the final result.

Also how big are the image files and how large are the prints. You really should not gopast 300 DPI, 250 if you want to push it a bit and you will be viewing from more than arm's length

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Don't print matte unless you're referring to rag paper. Stuff like Epson Enhanced Matte is just chalk. Horrible paper. Go for a luster paper. You will have definition in your shadows and an overall better result. Mpix.com offers a luster option.

Don't work in sRGB. The only time you should encounter this color space is when you output to the web. It is a highly condensed color space. Work in Adobe RGB, if not ProPhoto. Imagine them as various sized buckets, with the water being available colors.

What options does iPhoto give for outputting to print? I don't even have that program installed on my computer.

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice. I couldn't find any UK options for luster or metallic so just got a couple printed in gloss and now they're happily sitting on my wall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.