Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi all! Hope all are well!

This idea struck me well before Apple's midnight Macbook. I realized that if I could get the top case in hand with no electronics, I should be able to paint it any way. I decided to plasti dip it, my first time working with plasti dip. I made it a fun little project with my Dad cause, hey, it's the world's thinnest laptop, why don't we geek out on it for a bit. So, after some disassembly and plasti dipping it matte black, we ran in to some hurdles along re assembly, and finally got her working! After 3 long weeks of patiently waiting and ripping a cable, re ordering it, and finally, having one cable upside down!
I know she's not perfect, but a showcase of Mac mods and the fun and endless creative possibilities! Here she is:

IMG_5370-trips-edit.jpg

IMG_5371-trips-edit.jpg

IMG_5372-trips-edit.jpg

Key differences vs. a skin:
- the "veins" in between the keys are black
- get the original feel of the keys
- brightness of the keys, unobstructed

...though don't blame me if I put key skins on top of this at some point lol

Lovin it all! Wow! 😀

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
No offence, but that looks awful.
None taken, it's about the item, it doesn't appeal to your eyes, cool. I love it, lol.
Maybe it was never learned that if you don't have anything nice to say, why bother saying anything at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.