Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi guys, I'm taking photography A level and I am in the middle of a project that requires me to make a scrapbook of the photo's I take.

I have been using photobox.com to print them in the standard 4.5? size ( well the smallest one) I have been printing them in matte rather then glossy. They are all night shots with neon lights etc. Would they look better in glossy??

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hi guys, I'm taking photography A level and I am in the middle of a project that requires me to make a scrapbook of the photo's I take.

I have been using photobox.com to print them in the standard 4.5? size ( well the smallest one) I have been printing them in matte rather then glossy. They are all night shots with neon lights etc. Would they look better in glossy??

I don't know much about the printer you are using or how important the longevity of these images are but here are just 2 things to consider

paper base - bright whites vs natural vs warm --> impact bright whites (just know that bright whites are done by chemicals added to the paper)

Glossy has more impact but has glare and shows fingerprints quicky
Matte will not have the Dmax levels that Glossy has but appears to be more natural.

Given that you are doing a more "graphic" topic of lights at night, you might want to go with a low gloss type finish with minimal texture. Your instructor might appreciate it more.

(this is all very abbreviated but I assume you just wanted a quickie opinion)

- Phrehdd

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Fan of Premium Luster

I print on Epson and their Premium Luster paper is my favorite.

Cheers!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Generally speaking, you'll find glossy paper is best where maximum definition/contrast is required. Matte paper yields a "smoother" result and is good for portraits etc. Semi-matte or luster tend to fall into the "halfway-house" category and this is the type I tend to use the most of.

Best results are usually obtained by using the brand of paper recommended by the manufacturer of the printer.

In the final analysis, you are the the only person who can answer your original question! - just try out the different types and you'll soon spot the one you prefer.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
yeah luster is great, if they dont offer it I usually get glossy for all my 4x6(unless it will be pressed against glass and then anything 8x10 or larger where it will be in a frame I get matte cause it tend to help show the deatail through the glare if there is any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.