Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewonders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Beautiful Northern California
Mavericks usually understand the number pad on my standard keyboard and I don't have problems with browsers or most other programs. But on some Apple programs the number pad seems to confuse Mavericks. For example, the Calculator won't work properly - when I try to use it with the number pad, the number I hit also keys the app's "clear" button, so everything entered before I key gets cleared/erased which makes the Calculator only useable with the numbers at the top of the keyboard. Also, when setting up a new email account in Mail, if I use the number pad to enter a password, it closes the New Account window - again, I have to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard. This seems like an odd problem but if any of you have come across this it would be great to hear if you have a solution.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Try this, go to Sys Preferences > Mouse and Trackpad > Make sure "enable mouse keys" is unchecked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.