Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
I have just received my new Midnight iPhone Mini. Data transferring as i type.

I have transferred from a XS Max. I have also traded in my Apple Watch Series 4.

The idea being as I wanted rid of the watch i needed a pocket friendly phone. Browsing at home etc will be done in my new shiny iPad mini.

Does anyone else have experience of dropping from Max to Mini and how are you finding it?

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
Same! XS Max to iPhone 13 mini. I also got the iPad mini 6. I think they’re a great combo in my opinion! my most used device now is the iPad mini. But, it feels so liberating to get rid of and not carry a big phone! I have been rocking my iphone mini only with the MagSafe wallet and so far so good. I did buy an apple silicone case but I love the feel of the mini with the wallet. I keep the wallet at all times so when it’s on the table, the camera bump never touches the surface. it’s my favorite iPhone ever!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No doubt that the smaller iPhones are much nicer to carry in the pocket than the big max phones… but if a person could only have one portable device, it’s hard to beat the big phones

• Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
The iPhone case has just arrived (Apple leather) so I can start using it now.

The lens casing area is so big compared to the area of the phone it would sit right on a qi charger. If you have it a bit on the lens square so its not quite horizontal it did charge. An immediate hmmm moment (with the case having a protective 3d line around the lens hole this is still happens when the case is on but to a lesser degree).

I'm getting serious iPhone 5s vibes. I was late to the Apple party in terms of phones and the 5s was my first so there is a bit of nostalgia going on.

I haven't even got to the phone improvements in the three years of having an XS.

According to Six Colors website (here) I can expect the following improvements :

• Phone body: More damage-resistant screen.
  • Display: Supports HDR.
  • Chip: 50 percent faster, Neural Engine has twice as many cores for faster machine-learning-based tasks.
  • Battery life: Better.
  • Networking: 5G, Wi-Fi 6, Ultra Wideband.
  • Camera: Wider aperture and improved sensors on standard camera, Ultra Wide camera for more expansive shots, sensor-shift optical image stabilization, Night Mode for dark settings, Deep Fusion for enhanced details, Photographic Styles.
  • Selfie camera: Higher resolution (12 megapixels) with support for portait mode.
  • Video: HDR video up to 4K 60fps, Cinematic Mode.
  • Charging: Support for MagSafe charging accessories.

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
One other thing, when doing the restore from backup when setting up the new phone, about 70% of the apps went into a folder called Other in the automatic app library.
After a night on charge, this sorted its self out in the background.
Don't waste any time deleting apps and downloading them individually (this does work but I gave up after one and I'm glad I did as it would have been a waste of time).

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Went from a 12 Pro to a launch day 13 Pro Max. Kept hearing how amazing the battery life is, so I caved.
Didn't think I would notice the weight/size difference, but I did. After 5 days of usage, I realized the 13PM was not for me. My fingers were achy, my wrist was starting to hurt a bit, and it just felt so heavy carrying it around. Especially in my pocket.

Yes, the battery would last me two days, but decided it was not for me since im not a power user. I don't consume media that much on my phone, do not play games, and I only go on IG like once a day for 10 minutes. I use it mostly for phone calls, texting, emails, occasional game, and browsing the internet. So obviously I was not fully taking advantage of what the PM was offering.

I went to the Apple store and purchased a 13 Mini. Wanted to see if the battery life would be enough for me. Its been more than enough and have not looked back. I actually returned the 13PM yesterday. Im SO happy with the mini. The battery life lasts all day. When I go to bed, the phone is usually between 15-20% with about 4-4.5 hours of on screen time. Its so lightweight, comfortable to hold, and barely noticeable when pocketed. Now I truly understand why there are iPhone Mini stans out there. Its a fantastic little phone.

I do notice the difference between the 60Hz and 120Hz, but it's not something I actually care for.

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
Went from a 12 Pro to a launch day 13 Pro Max. Kept hearing how amazing the battery life is, so I caved.
Didn't think I would notice the weight/size difference, but I did. After 5 days of usage, I realized the 13PM was not for me. My fingers were achy, my wrist was starting to hurt a bit, and it just felt so heavy carrying it around. Especially in my pocket.

Yes, the battery would last me two days, but decided it was not for me since im not a power user. I don't consume media that much on my phone, do not play games, and I only go on IG like once a day for 10 minutes. I use it mostly for phone calls, texting, emails, occasional game, and browsing the internet. So obviously I was not fully taking advantage of what the PM was offering.

I went to the Apple store and purchased a 13 Mini. Wanted to see if the battery life would be enough for me. Its been more than enough and have not looked back. I actually returned the 13PM yesterday. Im SO happy with the mini. The battery life lasts all day. When I go to bed, the phone is usually between 15-20% with about 4-4.5 hours of on screen time. Its so lightweight, comfortable to hold, and barely noticeable when pocketed. Now I truly understand why there are iPhone Mini stans out there. Its a fantastic little phone.

I do notice the difference between the 60Hz and 120Hz, but it's not something I actually care for.
I would have gone through the same experience had I followed through with my pre-preorder for the 13 Pro Max. Since I have a 12.9 M1 iPad Pro, I wanted the longer battery life, the bigger screen, the promotion… so I thought. It was just me wanting the best features, that I really didn’t need.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
The mini is perfect if you don't use your phone much to consume media and don't take many pictures.

I have the 12 mini and I love it. I only occasionally take photographs. Sometimes I do wish for a telephoto lens but personally I don't think it's worth the price delta given how rarely I want it. So pretty happy with the 12 mini.

If I want to watch something for a longer period of time, I just whip out my iPad.

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I had the 12 mini and gave it to my wife great device and size. It not for browsing or videos but more like having a basic phone with tons of features. I usually carried my iPad mini with me if I needed to browse the net while on the road. Yea highly recommend the mini to anyone looking for simplicity with features when needed.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009

I have the 12 Pro and I am considering moving to the 13 mini. Is there anything from the Pro you really miss that would make you reconsider your purchase of the 13 mini? Was it worth the cost difference (if any) to get the 13 mini and sell the 12 Pro (if you had to sell it).

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U and RRC

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I have the 12 Pro and I am considering moving to the 13 mini. Is there anything from the Pro you really miss that would make you reconsider your purchase of the 13 mini? Was it work the cost difference (if any) to get the 13 mini and sell the 12 Pro (if you had to sell it).
i would think browsing and video watching would be harder on the mini? just so much smaller....

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I have the 12 Pro and I am considering moving to the 13 mini. Is there anything from the Pro you really miss that would make you reconsider your purchase of the 13 mini? Was it worth the cost difference (if any) to get the 13 mini and sell the 12 Pro (if you had to sell it).
I honestly do not miss anything from the 12 Pro. MAYBE the telephoto lens, but for me its a good trade off for a smaller phone that is better in ever other sense than the 12 Pro. Im also getting pretty much the same battery life I had on the 13 Pro. I traded in my 12 Pro through Apple and payed the difference for the Mini.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I went from the pro 12 max to the mini 13 and there isn’t really anything I miss, I used telephoto a few times but usually preferred the image quality from the main lens and then if I did switch it was usually between the main lens and wide angle so I really don’t miss that and macro sounds cool but again I don’t think I would use it enough. I was worried about the screen but the size is fine for me, web content scales well the keyboard works well for me and actually using it is a lot more comfortable and the amount of time I’m really watching video on my phone is pretty low and videos on a iPhone max aren’t really a great experience either they are just slightly less compromised and I don’t know if that is worth carrying it around in my pocket all day for that difference. Then I think the thing that I found is I’m not really watching movies or media if I’m around doing errands or doing things, I’m not really commuting any more on the train (and I usually preferred iPads for this as well anyway) and if I was going on a trip or anything like that I would just bring an iPad so I guess the amount of time I actually need a big screen with me is a lot less than I really thought.

The trade off is this thing feels absolutely perfect in your hand and that is what drew me to it I had no intention of picking one up, I have always gone for max phones but I was at the store picking up an iPad mini and the phone just felt perfect and the screen is actually really high res and looks great and things scale fine for me, the power of the phone is amazing, battery seems fine, camera seems good enough and I also just use the MagSafe wallet so the amount of things I am able to carry in that compact size is really kind of mind blowing to me because basically I have a small keyring and the phone that by itself is so much more comfortable. I’ve had it about a week and a half so maybe things will change over time but really so far I’d rather be really comfortable the 90% of the time that the mini is the perfect device for me and then bring the iPad mini if I think I am going to be sitting or want to consume media on the go which is usually predictable and fairly rare situations. I think I’ve come to the same conclusion with the iPad pro, instead if sitting here trying to do real work on an 13” iPad I’m more going with a laptop, iPad mini and iPhone mini and they seem great to me because each device serves a particular purpose and they each do it really well. If I resign myself to letting each do it’s thing it seems like I save a lot on the difference between base models or close to it rather than trying to spec out iPad and/or iphone pro’s to do multiple things. We’ll see maybe I end up back with a huge phone or iPad next time and everyone has different usage so YMMV I guess but so far this has been working really well for me since I made the switch.

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
I went from the pro 12 max to the mini 13 and there isn’t really anything I miss, I used telephoto a few times but usually preferred the image quality from the main lens and then if I did switch it was usually between the main lens and wide angle so I really don’t miss that and macro sounds cool but again I don’t think I would use it enough. I was worried about the screen but the size is fine for me, web content scales well the keyboard works well for me and actually using it is a lot more comfortable and the amount of time I’m really watching video on my phone is pretty low and videos on a iPhone max aren’t really a great experience either they are just slightly less compromised and I don’t know if that is worth carrying it around in my pocket all day for that difference. Then I think the thing that I found is I’m not really watching movies or media if I’m around doing errands or doing things, I’m not really commuting any more on the train (and I usually preferred iPads for this as well anyway) and if I was going on a trip or anything like that I would just bring an iPad so I guess the amount of time I actually need a big screen with me is a lot less than I really thought.

The trade off is this thing feels absolutely perfect in your hand and that is what drew me to it I had no intention of picking one up, I have always gone for max phones but I was at the store picking up an iPad mini and the phone just felt perfect and the screen is actually really high res and looks great and things scale fine for me, the power of the phone is amazing, battery seems fine, camera seems good enough and I also just use the MagSafe wallet so the amount of things I am able to carry in that compact size is really kind of mind blowing to me because basically I have a small keyring and the phone that by itself is so much more comfortable. I’ve had it about a week and a half so maybe things will change over time but really so far I’d rather be really comfortable the 90% of the time that the mini is the perfect device for me and then bring the iPad mini if I think I am going to be sitting or want to consume media on the go which is usually predictable and fairly rare situations. I think I’ve come to the same conclusion with the iPad pro, instead if sitting here trying to do real work on an 13” iPad I’m more going with a laptop, iPad mini and iPhone mini and they seem great to me because each device serves a particular purpose and they each do it really well. If I resign myself to letting each do it’s thing it seems like I save a lot on the difference between base models or close to it rather than trying to spec out iPad and/or iphone pro’s to do multiple things. We’ll see maybe I end up back with a huge phone or iPad next time and everyone has different usage so YMMV I guess but so far this has been working really well for me since I made the switch.
Funny. I pick up my mini from time to time just to admire the size and weight. I’m a lot crazy though. One other funny thing is: I feel I type better on the mini; at least, I seem to have less misspelled words.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Funny. I pick up my mini from time to time just to admire the size and weight. I’m a lot crazy though. One other funny thing is: I feel I type better on the mini; at least, I seem to have less misspelled words.
I actually agree with both statements I found myself just picking up the mini randomly and kind of marveling at how compact and light it is for how powerful it is and I feel like the MagSafe wallet adds to this too because they both combined are just so compact and efficient. I also really like the typing experience as well and I don’t know if it’s that I built up so much muscle memory with that size of keyboard from older phones or it’s that it‘s just more comfortable to hold the phone which helps but I also like typing on it more.

I’d also actually agree that I feel like it’s my favorite iPhone and it’s that it’s more comfortable to use and carry around which I feel like should have been more important to me because I carry it around in my pocket all day and use it the most out of all my devices but strangely I didn’t really prioritize those things even though now they seem like fairly obviously two of the most important things a mobile phone can do is be comfortable to use and easy to carry.

Deke38

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2021
I am a long time BlackBerry user and just last week got the iPhone 12 Mini. My BB Classic will be dead on Jan 4, 2022 as the BB legacy phones will no longer work. So I sucked it up and got an Apple. The Mini is about the size of my BB Classic but with a full screen. And I thought the Classic was huge, after having 2 BB Curves! How I miss the physical keyboard!. But the Mini fits nicely in my hand and pocket. Easier to type on, I am sure than some huge full sized phone.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I am a long time BlackBerry user and just last week got the iPhone 12 Mini. My BB Classic will be dead on Jan 4, 2022 as the BB legacy phones will no longer work. So I sucked it up and got an Apple. The Mini is about the size of my BB Classic but with a full screen. And I thought the Classic was huge, after having 2 BB Curves! How I miss the physical keyboard!. But the Mini fits nicely in my hand and pocket. Easier to type on, I am sure than some huge full sized phone.
Love those BB!

Reactions: Deke38

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As a former BB SME and BES4/5 jr admin my biggest tip for you is go into iOS Settings, General, Keyboard, Text Replacement !

Here like BBOS you can save auto text shortcuts for full words, phrases and special characters. This will make the iPhone feel a bit more comfortable for you.

Screenshot attached of a few I have. Never mind the purple blur as I had to edit out the cursing there lol.

Man I swear you’re the last person on BB I’ve ever heard of. Good times: 8100 Pearl, 8320, 9900 (didn’t like the Bold 9000), 9780, and Passport was unique but too much, I ended with the Z10/Q10/Z30 which was far too big.

Attachments

• 39123C9F-E4F4-4C60-8EA8-E7495D885757.jpeg
    39123C9F-E4F4-4C60-8EA8-E7495D885757.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.