Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi all,

My new Canon Rebel XS is due to arrive today and I want to get a new SD card for it asap (I have a regular 1gb card from my P&S in the mean time).

I am looking at SanDisk, the Ultra II and Ultra III. Seems the difference is 15mb/sec vs 30. My question is, should I spend the money on the 30, or does the camera itself run into bottlenecks to where I wouldn't get the benefit of the extra speed the Ultra III offers? The ultra III is about 2x the price. I don't mind spending the money IF it gets me something (plus I have a family member who works at best buy, so it should be a lot cheaper) but why waste the money if the camera wont write any faster b/c of it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Ah yeah, thats a good point (assuming USB 2.0 isnt a bottleneck) I didn't even think about downloading those images to my mac. And if I had an 8gb card full of RAW images, that speed bump may be a big deal huh?

Thanks -

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Hi all,

My new Canon Rebel XS is due to arrive today and I want to get a new SD card for it asap (I have a regular 1gb card from my P&S in the mean time).

I am looking at SanDisk, the Ultra II and Ultra III. Seems the difference is 15mb/sec vs 30. My question is, should I spend the money on the 30, or does the camera itself run into bottlenecks to where I wouldn't get the benefit of the extra speed the Ultra III offers? The ultra III is about 2x the price. I don't mind spending the money IF it gets me something (plus I have a family member who works at best buy, so it should be a lot cheaper) but why waste the money if the camera wont write any faster b/c of it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I got the xsi and I'm using an 8gb Kingston class 6 card (theoretically same speed as extreme III? Afaik) and it was same speed in raw and jpg in burst mode from an ultra 2 and an extreme 3. IMO get an ultra 2 if u want. Good card. Kingston one seems good too and cheaper to boot.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Unless you shoot a lot of raw files on continuous, the only advantages of faster cards are reviewing the pictures on camera and uploading them to the computer.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Somehow I find uploading the pictures from the SLR to the computer is much faster then using a memory card hub to transfer the pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.