Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one would you choose?

• 2017 REFUBRISHED Macbook Pro 13'' 3.1 GHz i5 1TB SSD ($2039)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 2017 REFUBRISHED MacBook Pro 15'' 2.8 GHz i7 256GB SSD ($2039)

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Macdaddi69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2018
Hello guys!

I'm going to college next year and I will need to get a new laptop. I want it to be future proof but at the same time not too expensive.

I currently have MacBook Pro 13'' (2015). I love it, but the only concern is that it has 128GB SSD and it's not that future proof. It's not slow, but I can tell that it's kinda hard for it to handle when there are a lot of programs or tabs open at the same time.

I have 2 choices :
1. 2017 REFUBRISHED Macbook Pro 13'' 3.1 GHz i5 1TB SSD ($2039)
2. 2017 REFUBRISHED MacBook Pro 15'' 2.8 GHz i7 256GB SSD ($2039)

I don't own a desktop or iPad so I'm only taking laptop to college. I am planning to use it everyday during lectures and in the dorm. I like portability of 13 inch , but I also like the screen of 15 inch...

Is it bad to buy refurbished products?
Is it better to buy refurbished product or used?
What would you get if you had those 2 choices and why?

Thanks

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Unless you need it the maxed out 13 would be better for school. Dual core and smaller screen along with no dedicated gpu means better battery life

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I'm going to college next year and I will need to get a new laptop."

Then... wait and buy one... NEXT year.
NOT this year.

I cannot recommend ANY 2017 MacBook Pro model due to the keyboard problem. A very high likelihood of failure, particularly in "a college environment".

Your best bet right now would be to wait AT LEAST until new MacBook Pro's are announced (either later this year or early next year) and consider buying one then.

I would not recommend spending the exorbitant amount of money Apple charges for the 1tb SSD on ANY MacBook. Get nothing larger than the 512gb version, and use that extra money for other things!

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I bought a refurb 2017 MBP 13” with TB. I love it, after coming from a 2012 MBP 15”.

Now you say you’re going to be going to school, so the question is what kind of apps are you going to be running?

If you are going to do a lot of video editing or projects with lots of CPU heavy tasks open at the same time, I’d say go with the 15”. The extra two cores on the CPU helps with multitasking. And you automatically get 16gb of RAM, which is pretty future proof.

However if it’s mostly for lighter use, I’d suggest you get the 13”, it’s more portable and is a plenty powerful enough machine. If you have the option, get a refurb with 16gb RAM, but 8gb RAM will suit you fine for standard school work too if the 16GB version isn’t available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.