Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seahawk09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Canada
Hey all,

Latley I have been searching for a new camera to replace my old Pentax P30T SLR well it seems I may have found my next Pentax, for those of you who can afford it may I recommend the Pentax K10D DSLR. I have read alot of reviews and everyone that i have read gave this Camera 5 stars and that in my mind is a great start. It also helps to talk to camera shop people those who have done SLR photography for a living since they know what you would be wanting. Reading and testing this camera out in camera shops is the best way to see if this camera fits your photography need's. P.S. it also doesnt hurt to have a Mac Pro doing your photo editing either. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I see where you're coming from - trying to decide which dSLR to go with - but I think it's just a bit of a stretch to "recommend" a camera you've never really owned, or used extensively in different conditions. Of course, discussing the media reviews of the camera, and your experiences handling one in a store are certainly valid. But it's not enough to truly recommend it to others, IMHO.

Why don't you buy it, and follow this up with your own experiences down the line. I'd be interested to know how it works out. The K10D certainly does appear to have a lot of desireable qualities, and Pentax is a long-time trusted designer of photographic gear, both 35mm, medium format and to a lesser degree, digital.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
I agree with pdxflint above, it is hard to recommend a camera you haven't used that much or owned. I have owned a K10d for around 3 months now and I am thoroughly impressed with it, although it's my first dslr. Previously I did have Zenith, Canon and Pentax film slr's and Olympus and Panasonic Lumix digital cameras. I chose the K10 after reading countless reviews on lots of dslr's eventually I got a short list of the K10d, Nikon D80, Canon Eos400 or Canon 30D, all of which are fantastic cameras. The Pentax won out in the end mainly due to the inbody shake reduction, the weather sealing and the ergonomics. I tried all these cameras out at a store and to be honest it came down to either the D80 or the K10 due to feel and operation. It would appear to me that if you already own Pentax compatible glass then the k10 would be ideal for you as all Pentax lenses made in the last 30 years or so are usable on the K10 and the only drawback I have found is the lack of choice in new Pentax lenses.

I hope this is of some help to you.

For a sample of my K10 efforts you can go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zteamie
All picture were taken with either the Kit lens 18-55mm or the Tamron 70-300mm Di

seahawk09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Canada
Gentlemen,

I see what your saying and your right I will buy this camera and update this article when I have used it .

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
The body is pretty good and it shares the CCD with the Nikon D200..

However, Pentax has a less then stellar choice of lenses. You may keep that in mind because lenses are a lot more critical then the body itself...

I mean, no one could ever tell if I used a F3 or an F2 and I am pretty sure no-one could tell a picture from a D200 from one taken with a D40x given the same lens and settings... A D3 would make a difference (I assume) ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.