Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faloude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I've replaced the motherboard on my friend's MacBook Air A1465 (mid-2012) and I have these problems now:

1. OS won't boot (no apple logo, just white screen)
  2. While trying to reinstall the OS with a flash drive - after it asked the SSD password - it says the selected SSD isn't encrypted in GUID scheme which I think is not really true but is caused by encryption
Is this likely caused by the T2 chip encryption linked to the original motherboard? Anyone know how to get around this issue?

Tomorrow I'm going to try to hook the SSD to my macbook through a USB adapter and copy the files from it. If you're familiar with this problem, please share your wisdom :)

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've replaced the motherboard on my friend's MacBook Air A1465 (mid-2012) and I have these problems now:

1. OS won't boot (no apple logo, just white screen)
  2. While trying to reinstall the OS with a flash drive - after it asked the SSD password - it says the selected SSD isn't encrypted in GUID scheme which I think is not really true but is caused by encryption
Is this likely caused by the T2 chip encryption linked to the original motherboard? Anyone know how to get around this issue?

Tomorrow I'm going to try to hook the SSD to my macbook through a USB adapter and copy the files from it.
Only 2018 Apple portables have the T2 chip.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Oh, lol. So the SSD is in no way linked / locked to the original motherboard?
No, it’s not. Will the computer start from internet recovery? If the SSD is formatted as APFS and the firmware on the new board has not been updated, the computer won’t be able to boot from that SSD, but I’d expect a blinking question mark. Do you have a USB or thunderbolt disk you could connect and install an OS onto, if the computer starts from internet recovery?

Faloude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
No, it’s not. Will the computer start from internet recovery? If the SSD is formatted as APFS and the firmware on the new board has not been updated, the computer won’t be able to boot from that SSD, but I’d expect a blinking question mark. Do you have a USB or thunderbolt disk you could connect and install an OS onto, if the computer starts from internet recovery?
Thanks for your input so far! Computer does initiate internet recovery. I didn't proceed with it as I was afraid it would erase the data.

I do have a USB drive laying around yes. I'm wondering what you would suppose to do with it after starting internet recovery.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for your input so far! Computer does initiate internet recovery. I didn't proceed with it as I was afraid it would erase the data.

I do have a USB drive laying around yes. I'm wondering what you would suppose to do with it after starting internet recovery.
Install an operating system onto that secondary disk and see if you can see the internal SSD from there. You can also use Disk Utility in the internet recovery environment to see if it detects the SSD. Was the computer running High Sierra or Mojave prior to replacement of the logic board?

Faloude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
That's a great idea. Will try this tomorrow.

EDIT: So I boot up High Sierra from an external drive, retrieved the data (which accessible after entering the password), formatted and partitioned the internal drive, installed Mojave to it, reboot and everything works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macdctr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.