Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I currently have 16/256 M1 Mac Mini hooked up to dual 4k monitors. This is my first Mac, so some hiccups transitioning from windows. It's for personal use only; I run Lightroom, Pixelmator Pro for my photography needs. Lightroom seems to run better than Pixelmator when handling high number of RAW files. I also run Docker Desktop to my learning. So far, haven't seen too many beach balls while running applications. Now I would like to buy a Macbook Pro as I want to travel for photography, and take some in-person classes where I am be running multiple applications on Docker. Looking at M1Pro & M2Pro models, 16/512 option. I don't want the 16in model - need something smaller for better mobility. So, is M1 still a good option considering it's almost 2 years old now, but save some $$ or invest in M2 model for the long run? I don't want the Air due to limited port options and external monitor support.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
The M2 runs a bit faster and possibly hotter, and might receive software updates for longer. My advice for your use case is to go with 32GB RAM. Either M1 Pro or M2 Pro will be powerful enough.

Reactions: vgk80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.