Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
I read some information about not supporting more than one monitor by MBA 15 machine. Is it true that even with sime 3rd larty adapters, I cannot connect my MBA to dual monitors. My use case is to use MBA to carry with me and connect to office virtual desktop. At office, I need to connect to 2 monitors (hd monitors, not 4k) and work. I am seeing 14 MBP and MBA 15 and not liking the additional weight of 14.

if I buy 14 MBP M3, will it support multiple monitors? M3, m3 pro, m3 max all are very confusing and hard to find the differences in my use case.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
You can use more than one display with the MacBook Air, just not natively. You just need a Display link adapter or dock to get it working. Since you only need HD, this one is only about $40.

The 14" M3 MBP will support multiple monitors natively. The M3 is the only SOC that can only do 1 monitor natively. All other variants can do multiple. The higher the tier, the more monitors you can connect.

Native Monitor Support for MacBooks:

M3: 1
M3 Pro: 2
M3 Max: 4

Reactions: Chuckeee and ysvsr1

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
You can use more than one display with the MacBook Air, just not natively. You just need a Display link adapter or dock to get it working. Since you only need HD, this one is only about $40.

The 14" M3 MBP will support multiple monitors natively. The M3 is the only SOC that can only do 1 monitor natively. All other variants can do multiple. The higher the tier, the more monitors you can connect.

Native Monitor Support for MacBooks:

M3: 1
M3 Pro: 2
M3 Max: 4

Thank you so much. Is there any 4k display link adapter that works with mba 15?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Thank you so much. Is there any 4k display link adapter that works with mba 15?
Yes there's quite a few on the market. Most seems to have a USB A connection which needs an adapter.

I like this one as it has a USB C connection and gives you docking functionality. So you get extra ports like 2x HDMI, USB-A and USB-C, 82W pass-through charging, Gigabit ethernet, and an SD card slot

This one has DisplayPort as well as HDMI but loses all of the additional ports. It's $10 cheaper but if you're not using DisplayPort, I'd go with the one I posted above as you get a lot more connectivity for your $.

Last edited:
Reactions: ysvsr1

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Have you imagined to use:

Internal Display
External Monitor
TV via Airplay

I use this setup for Meetings and can also Screen-share the TV Screen connected via AirPlay this way.

Plus if you need add via DisplayLink capable Dock.
But it has to have Display Link to add a second Monitor over it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.