Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
I have an MBA 2017 13’’, i5 8/128. Over past years it became terribly slow, not doing anything crazy - surfing, video conferencing and office work (documents, emails, etc). Is there something I could do to fix it (such as fresh installation of macOS) or nothing will help and I need a new one?

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
If your SSD is quite full, you could install a bigger one. As far as I understand, this should be possible for MBAs until 2017. I did this upgrade in 2020 for my MBP 2015.
But as of today, I personally would consider getting a new Apple Silicon Mac instead of throwing money and time onto that six year old machine. (This is only valid if you are not depending on Intel-only apps.)

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
Those original SSD in those Airs have tendencies to slow down or die. Just replace the SSD with samsung 980 Mvme drive. You also need a cheap adapter to connect it.Before that upgrade to monteray to have the max firmware on the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.