Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I've done a search in this forum and can't see anything on here, but I vaguely remember similar issues with other MacBooks when the Ultrafine displays were first released.

Typically what will happen is that when I unplug the single USB-C cable from the Air, the machine will either immediately, or within 10 seconds or so, turn itself off. Black screen, need to power it back on and I get the black screen with the message saying my Mac has restarted because of a problem.

I've tried the usual resets and its a clean build of macOS, so was just wondering if anybody else has seen similar?

Thanks!

Micha

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Same here, if I want to avoid the kernel crash I need to plug and restart. I can tell if it's going to crash on an unplug when the controls on for the lg are not on the Touch Bar.

Reactions: ascender

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I'm getting a similar problem, not with an Ultrafine Display but with a USB-C dock. If I put my MBA to sleep with the dock plugged in, it's very likely that some ports (USB 2) on the dock won't respond after waking it, and my MBA will usually crash shortly afterwards.

My solution has been to unplug the dock before putting my MBA to sleep, and reconnecting it after I wake it up. Tedious, and I remember when the 2020 MBAs came out that there were a lot of problems with USB-C docks. Hoping it's something that can be fixed via a software/firmware update, but reports from people using Big Sur indicate that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Reactions: ascender
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.