Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s1lent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
Hello, I'm starting out in the web developer world, mainly focused on backend things, I'm currently finishing my studies (They will be over in a couple of months probably). So, my main doubt here is if my macbook would be able to handle the tasks I would do daily as a web developer, I would be using PHP, Node, basic things. I don't really think I need a super powerful laptop to run that, maybe some frontend things too, who knows.

My config would be i5 + 16gb or i7 + 16gb, I am currently in doubts with those two.

It would be nice to point out that this would be my first macbook ever, I'm used to work with UNIX but never really got into the mac ecosystem.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Any additional advice is welcome! Thank you all.

RegularGuy09

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
I have the same kinda work and I'm wondering if the i5, 8GB, 512GB config would be enough. Any advice?

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
See my comments in a related post about iOS development:
  • The i5 over the i3 for sure (2x cores and threads = faster build times).
  • As for the SSD, larger is just more of a convenience than roadblock.
  • My recommended upgrade priorities for development use: 1) i5; 2) 16GB; 3) 512GB
I suppose if I bought one for those for times of programming inspiration at the coffee shop, I'd lean towards:
i7/16GB-RAM/512GB-SSD

The i7 has 8MB L3 cache instead of 6MB on the i5, and i7 boosts to 3.8GHz instead of 3.5GHz on the i5. Upgrading from i5 to i7 is really more of a mental satisfaction than anything else for me.

Last edited:

s1lent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2020
See my comments in a related post about iOS development:

Thank you for the advice!

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Even the i5, at 4 cores 8 threads of Ice-Lake is a lot of performance.

Put it this way, plenty of web developers who created great projects and became million- and billionaires, did so comfortably on much weaker MBP/MBA than this!

Reactions: kreasonos

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
Hello, I'm starting out in the web developer world, mainly focused on backend things, I'm currently finishing my studies (They will be over in a couple of months probably). So, my main doubt here is if my macbook would be able to handle the tasks I would do daily as a web developer, I would be using PHP, Node, basic things. I don't really think I need a super powerful laptop to run that, maybe some frontend things too, who knows.

My config would be i5 + 16gb or i7 + 16gb, I am currently in doubts with those two.

It would be nice to point out that this would be my first macbook ever, I'm used to work with UNIX but never really got into the mac ecosystem.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Any additional advice is welcome! Thank you all.
Put it this way, my cousin is a software engineer at Google, works on the Google campus and uses a 2015 Macbook Air.

Reactions: Zahni and mick2

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017

hftvhftv

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
macOS is UNIX as well, that shouldn’t be a problem. I’d recommend the i5 16GB for the best value

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.