Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I’m so torn, I love my 2020 11in iPP with MK and AP2, but I’m doing a lot more side work that really feels better on a laptop (full computer) setup. So I ordered an M1 MBA and planned on selling my iPP to cover a fair portion of the cost. I’ve made the calls to Apple to discuss how to transfer over Apple Care to any new owner and even got a replacement Magic Keyboard sent since mine got a little banged up just with normal use. Now I’m sitting here wondering if I should actually get rid of the iPP. I love the idea of Sidecar, I use two screens for my day job and can see a good use for it with my side work (no pun intended, maybe a little). I have a habit of going through iPads in general over the years, so I’m wondering if it’ll save me money in the long run to keep it. Maybe just sell the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard, since the MBA sorta replaces the need for those accessories.

How does everyone like sidecar? Anyone replace their iPP with an M1? Any regrets? Does an iPP compliment an Apple notebook well enough to keep such an expensive device in your opinion?

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
It works well for Sidecar. That is how I use mine (with my M1 MBA) when not using it at work.

May I ask what accessories you have, if any, for the iPP? Thinking of selling the pencil and MK and would therefore need something to prop up the iPP, sadly I just sold my Smart Cover since I thought I was getting rid of the iPP, d’oh!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
May I ask what accessories you have, if any, for the iPP? Thinking of selling the pencil and MK and would therefore need something to prop up the iPP, sadly I just sold my Smart Cover since I thought I was getting rid of the iPP, d’oh!
I have the Magic Keyboard and the Apple Pencil for my 2020 iPad Pro. The MK stays attached to the iPad 99.5% of the time.

I also use my iPad Pro to remote into my M1 MBA or Mac mini (I use it headless) when needed for viewing video, files, or needing to reboot the mini or M1, or turn off in case of bad weather, if I am in the other part of the house or not at home.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I have the Magic Keyboard and the Apple Pencil for my 2020 iPad Pro. The MK stays attached to the iPad 99.5% of the time.

I also use my iPad Pro to remote into my M1 MBA or Mac mini (I use it headless) when needed for viewing video, files, or needing to reboot the mini or M1, or turn off in case of bad weather, if I am in the other part of the house or not at home.
Oh wow that’s a very cool setup! So is your iPP your primary monitor for your mini? Do you use the mini more as a central server?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Oh wow that’s a very cool setup! So is your iPP your primary monitor for your mini? Do you use the mini more as a central server?
I have a physical 1080p monitor that I only use for emergency mini use. Otherwise, it is sitting on the floor out of the way. My mini is my iTunes server and I use the iPad Pro as the screen for the mini using the Jumpdesktop app to connect with, which works great.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Similar boat to you, I have an 11 inch iPad Pro with MK (no pencil). The M1 macs I couldn’t pass on so got a MBA M1.

No way I could get rid of the iPad though so I use it as my consumption device in bed which it is much better for than a laptop. It’s detached from the keyboard most of the time but if i watch a movie or lots of YouTube i use it as a stand. And obviously anytime I need to type something I slap it on (typing this post on it now).

If you can afford it I’d recommend just keeping on to it. There is room for both laptop and iPad in a lot of setups.

I am happy with my decision.

• Love
Reactions: mikedude86

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would keep the iPad. But that's my opinion. I use my iPad at night rather than going to my MBA. I have the folio keyboard on my IPP and it works great for almost and task I ask of my iPad. In the end though you need to decide if you will use it enough or would like to recover some money from it.

• Love

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
My M1 MBA has replaced my iPad for anything mobile and sitting on the couch etc. If I need dual monitors I just use my PC.

There are absolutely no apps I need an iPad for. Watching content ? Again why do it on an iPad when I have a 85 inch TV? The iPad really no longer fits any need for me. Just collects dust. It’s probably going to be sold.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
My M1 MBA has replaced my iPad for anything mobile and sitting on the couch etc. If I need dual monitors I just use my PC.

There are absolutely no apps I need an iPad for. Watching content ? Again why do it on an iPad when I have a 85 inch TV? The iPad really no longer fits any need for me. Just collects dust. It’s probably going to be sold.

This is def a fear I have, let me know if you end up selling or not in the end.

Reactions: Deliro

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I have the m air and 12.9 pro and use both. Love having a keyboard for my iPad

I like the keyboard too but I’m thinking of getting a magic keyboard with numeric keypad (10-keys are life)and Magic Mouse 2 and selling off the iPad Magic Keyboard (the names are really starting to confuse me lol) and Apple Pencil. That way I’m making a little money back.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I would keep the iPad. But that's my opinion. I use my iPad at night rather than going to my MBA. I have the folio keyboard on my IPP and it works great for almost and task I ask of my iPad. In the end though you need to decide if you will use it enough or would like to recover some money from it.

I think I’ve made up my mind for now, but will evaluate workflow over the next month or so. I ordered a Satechi R1 stand to have something to prop it up on since I’ve decided to ditch the MK and AP2. We shall see how it goes! Thank you for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.