Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Hi I am looking for SSD upgrade with Sintech adapter I am thinking about Crucial P5 1TB, is any better drive with good performance/power ratio for my laptop?

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
There are many options for NVMe M.2 storage drives. I myself prefer to use the Samsung brand. With that said, I would get the 970 EVO 1TB or 2TB drives. Not the 970 EVP Plus drives unless the firmware has been updated on the "Plus" drives.

The 970 Evo drives are plug and play. This is what I am using on my Mac.

In your computer you will never see the top rated speeds these storage drives are capable of but you can reuse them down the road... in the 2015 models you can expect to see around 1400MBsec/1500MBsec performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audit13

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
There are many options for NVMe M.2 storage drives. I myself prefer to use the Samsung brand. With that said, I would get the 970 EVO 1TB or 2TB drives. Not the 970 EVP Plus drives unless the firmware has been updated on the "Plus" drives.

The 970 Evo drives are plug and play. This is what I am using on my Mac.

In your computer you will never see the top rated speeds these storage drives are capable of but you can reuse them down the road... in the 2015 models you can expect to see around 1400MBsec/1500MBsec performance.
I bought Crucial P5 and have sleep isue in latest big sur, this thread stated that only pre 2015 laptops have this problems? How to fix it in easy way? Windows works OK, but there is problem that I could not change the boot device to for example Windows...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought Crucial P5 and have sleep isue in latest big sur, this thread stated that only pre 2015 laptops have this problems? How to fix it in easy way? Windows works OK, but there is problem that I could not change the boot device to for example Windows...
The MacBook is having kernel panics when it wakes from hibernation?

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Is the MacBook running the latest bootrom?

Sounds to me like the drive/Air combination does not support hibernation mode 25.
IDK, I have lastest version of Big Sur, IDK how to check this (bootrom). Drive is with latest firmware I know, I must check this again in Crucial site. Is there also a fix method to make this work?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Checked, and yes this is on my case same version that you posted.
I was using an Intel 600p and HP ex900, both on an early 2015 with Catalina and neither had problems waking from hibernation.

It may be that the MacBook doesn't support hibernation with the crucial p5. I see people have had good results with the crucial p2.

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
I was using an Intel 600p and HP ex900, both on an early 2015 with Catalina and neither had problems waking from hibernation.

It may be that the MacBook doesn't support hibernation with the crucial p5. I see people have had good results with the crucial p2.
So is there a possibility to fix this?

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Only thing to do is disable hibernation which means your MacBook will never enter safe sleep mode.
How to do this? Also if Apple update bootrom or Crucial release some firmware fix this eliminate to eliminate this problem? Am I rights?

wiewiec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
How to disable safe sleep: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/26/785/NVMe-SSDs-Standby-Mode-Issue

Not sure that Apple will release a fix because Apple doesn't support the use of this party NVMe drives in their MacBooks.
T
How to disable safe sleep: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/26/785/NVMe-SSDs-Standby-Mode-Issue

Not sure that Apple will release a fix because Apple doesn't support the use of this party NVMe drives in their MacBooks.
Thanks for that, but I must say that when I first looked about upgrading SSD I contacted OWC and sales employee gives me a msg that their products are only one SSD fully supported in MacOS and this list shows that their latest drives have same problem that I noticed with my drive.

I have another question if I could for example upgrade to Evo 970 Plus - 2TB? I am asking because I saw rankings that P5 is more power hungry that Evo 970 Plus. I saw one video from person from my country that had overheating issues that it was uncomfortable for him to use laptop on knees? I am not noticing such problem with P5 even in heavy load using Premiere Pro during export process. I are you saw any sign of such behavior with any drives from Samsung or know that this problem was noticed by any MacBook user here?

Anyway so again very very thasks for help ;)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have another question if I could for example upgrade to Evo 970 Plus - 2TB? I am asking because I saw rankings that P5 is more power hungry that Evo 970 Plus. I saw one video from person from my country that had overheating issues that it was uncomfortable for him to use laptop on knees? I am not noticing such problem with P5 even in heavy load using Premiere Pro during export process. I are you saw any sign of such behavior with any drives from Samsung or know that this problem was noticed by any MacBook user here?

Anyway so again very very thasks for help ;)
I don't buy from OWC because their stuff is overpriced.

With respect to their replacement drives, they are simply NVMe drives that don't need an adapter.

The 2015 Air's SSD runs on a PCIe 2.0 bus with 4 lanes for data. The Evo Plus is a great drive but it is much more power-hungry than other drives and the PCIe 2.0 bus will limit the drive's read and write speeds. If you go with the Evo Plus, make sure it is running the latest firmware before installation as older firmware caused problems with MacBooks.

Reactions: Macdctr

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I don't buy from OWC because their stuff is overpriced.

With respect to their replacement drives, they are simply NVMe drives that don't need an adapter.

The 2015 Air's SSD runs on a PCIe 2.0 bus with 4 lanes for data. The Evo Plus is a great drive but it is much more power-hungry than other drives and the PCIe 2.0 bus will limit the drive's read and write speeds. If you go with the Evo Plus, make sure it is running the latest firmware before installation as older firmware caused problems with MacBooks.
All of this is true and you should not run into any issues using the EVO Plus NVMe drives as long as the firmware on those drives are updated. I myself stayed with Samsung storage drives and Audit13 knows this even though you have less battery life due to this type of storage drive using more power than other available drives.

I prefer using the EVO drives, not the EVO Plus drives, because the EVO drives are all plug and play from my experience. As for the hibernation issues, I have experienced none using these storage drives and as for the battery life, I'm not relying primarily on battery usage when using my computers as there is an AC source nearby if I should need it so I'm perfectly fine using the Samsung drives. I still get several hours of usage on my 11-inch Air when on the battery so I have no complaints in using Samsung drives.

Yes you won't see the full thoroughput of these drives due to physical limitation of the PCIe bus but compared to OWC and Apple's solution it is still much faster. There are much better solutions compared to buying from OWC. I don't listen to their hype and I have found that Audit13 puts out good information and options for storage drive solutions although I still prefer to use Samsung storage drives.

• Love
Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.