Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugh_conway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Hey there,

I'm helping a friend with his MacBook Air 7,2 13inch. It wasn't booting anymore so they transferred what they needed off and asked me to try to take a look. I booted into recovery mode and wiped the drive with Disk Utilities, then attempted to reinstall the OS. It was having trouble downloading all the installation files so I created a bootable USB with High Sierra installation. I tried reinstalling with that and it seemed to go fine until it failed and and let me save a log which I attached on this post.

I'm thinking it is a problem with the SSD drive. I've done a repair and it passes, and I've also done a hardware test and there are no issues. Before I replace the internal drive, I was hoping to find a more definitive way to identify the issue.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Installer Log 26-Nov-2017.txt
    253.1 KB · Views: 760

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You could also install HS to an external drive, boot from the external drive, and see if there are any problems.

The SSD for the Macbook Air is very expensive and replacement drives are only available from Apple or from the used market such as eBay.

hugh_conway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
I suggest you try the bootable USB thumb drive again, reformat (not repair) the SSD, and install from scratch.

Hey Bart, thanks for the reply. I've reformatted and tried a clean install multiple times.

You could also install HS to an external drive, boot from the external drive, and see if there are any problems.

The SSD for the Macbook Air is very expensive and replacement drives are only available from Apple or from the used market such as eBay.

I think thats a good idea. I'll try that.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I am not sure if this will work on the 2015s or not, but you could try installing Ubuntu onto a flash drive, boot into Ubuntu through the MBA, and access the Disks App to check the SMART status for any indicators of failure. If the drive has failed, the Transcend 820 may be a 3rd party drive of interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.