Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder what the differences are between the i5 and the i7 CPU in the new macbook air.

1.1ghz with 3.5ghz boost
Vs
1.2 with 3.8ghz boost.

Are those numbers the only difference?
Or does the i7 have more threads or other benefits?

Other question:
What is the model number on the Iris Plus graphics?
640?

viss

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Its an assumption based on previous gen chips, posted my reply too fast :)

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Benchmarks are
Same. Mostly between the dual-core i3 and the quad-core i5, though.

This to me is a no-brainer for $100... a dual w/ turbo to 3.2 vs. a quad w/ turbo to 3.5, it will show performance under load at least 2x, vs. probably only 10% at best for yet *another* $150 between the i5 and i7.

Now, how long it will take before thermal throttling happens is anyone's guess, but it's certainly not something I would hesitate waiting for benchmarks to prove out.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah the dual core i3 will easily feel old and slow.
But it all depends on usage of course.
I mean if you're only gonna surf the web, listen to music, watch videos and write or code etc., then it's fine.
Otherwise it will easily be underpowered.

But here in Denmark, the difference between the i3 and i5 (both base models) is 385 dollars

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
In the Netherlands, with edu discount the difference between i3 and i5 is only 47 euros! With edu discount, 1408 euros gets you a brand new Macbook Air with i5 10th gen with Iris Plus, 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD. That type of pricing is unheard of from Apple

Just for comparison, the local base model Dell XPS 13 with 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD and i5 10th gen processor without Iris Plus graphics with edu 10% discount costs 1450 euros

Last edited:

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
In the Netherlands, with edu discount the difference between i3 and i5 is only 47 euros! With edu discount, 1408 euros gets you a brand new Macbook Air with i5 10th gen with Iris Plus, 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD. That type of pricing is unheard of from Apple

Just for comparison, the local base model Dell XPS 13 with 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD and i5 10th gen processor without Iris Plus graphics with edu 10% discount costs 1450 euros
Wow. I was happy with the price before, but now even more so. $1180 with education discount

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
The difference between *only* the processor in the US is $100 (ie. it's a BTO), I'm sure he's quoting that, not the base models which also have a diff in SSD.
Ahh yes that's indeed what I meant. I misunderstood what the Danish person was talking about.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
Which one should I prefer? MBA with i7, 16gb ram OR MBP with i5, 16gb ram Which one has more performence? I want to wait for new pro but I think new air will perform well.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Which one should I prefer? MBA with i7, 16gb ram OR MBP with i5, 16gb ram Which one has more performence? I want to wait for new pro but I think new air will perform well.

What you will use it for answers your question best.
Do you actually need the extra performance the pro has/gets?
Do you need or want the touch bar? I don't.
:)

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I would like to see how the battery life is with the different chips. Because the MBA isn't meant to be a powerhouse having a slightly longer battery life might be more important. Hopefully someone will test this.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
What you will use it for answers your question best.
Do you actually need the extra performance the pro has/gets?
Do you need or want the touch bar? I don't.
:)
I don’t care the touch-bar.
Does 8th gen i5 on MBP outperforms 10th gen i7?
I want the scissor keyboard but performance is way more important for me.

Reactions: Falcon80

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
The pro is probably still more performant for bursty loads, just slightly, and considerably more for sustained loads due to TDP/thermal management.

For most use cases I imagine they're very close. If it came down to simply wanting the scissor keys + saving a little $$, the Air seems like a solid choice when compared against the current Pro.

That said, the Pro may be revised w/ a 14" form factor, greater than 16 GB ram, and so on... and if that appeals to you, probably best to wait a bit longer.

Macintosh.Rumors

Suspended
Mar 16, 2020
I'm interested in seeing the difference in performance between the three processors.

they are all Y chips from the formally names “M” series.mostly mobile processors Weak power/poor performance but better battery life. .

dont let the I fool you. They are as follows
i3 = m3
i5 = m5
i7 = m7

intel should have kept the naming schemeas as it confuses and tricks customers, but hey, marketing.

intel changed the naming scheme to prey on nieve consumers thinking they were getting powerful desktop “I” U series chips found on MacBook pros and high end windows machines.

real world perfomce, you wouldn’t notice much of a difference aside the usual studder/lag when doing large workloads. it’s mainly for the basics of the basics task. Don’t expect to edit a video in final cut without issues.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don’t care the touch-bar.
Does 8th gen i5 on MBP outperforms 10th gen i7?
I want the scissor keyboard but performance is way more important for me.
For single core tasks, the 10th gen scores higher on Geekbench. But for multi core the MBP scores higher. I think the thermals are better on the Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.