Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMunger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
I've read what the speculated performance upgrades may be...and I'm not sure I would benefit from them.

I would prefer to purchase now, but I could wait until this fall when the new model comes out. The question is, since the current model has been out so long, has it dropped any in price? Will the new model be much more? Would I potentially be able to save a few $ by buying the current soon to be outdated model? I know Apple isn't bid on model end clearance sales...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Don't know how anyone could really answer this. But there could be some risk in waiting if you like the current models. Remember when Apple updated the Mini and it was not well received? The old models immediately sold out and the refurbs were also gone quickly. If you want an 11" MBA, what if Apple discontinues it? I wonder how long it would be available in that case?...

JMunger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
What have been the historical trends? I haven't followed it closely enough. Over time do the prices of existing models creep down and the new model comes out at essentially the original price point as the prior model like an iphone? $199...then $99...then $1 when the new model comes out at $199 (through cellular carriers).

fwiw...looking at the 13" with 256GB model.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
Just get a refurb. They are already reduced in price. And if they come out with a new model... well at least you still got a discount. If you wait long enough you can get the previous years model at an even bigger refurb discount.

They still have a 2013 ultimate 11inch on the refurb store. That's about a 27% discount compared to a 2015 ultimate. In the back of my mind I wonder if would be better off with that model instead of my 2015 256GB.

Reactions: Saturn1217

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
They still have a 2013 ultimate 11inch on the refurb store.

Wow, you're right, have not seen any 2013 models there for awhile: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...nch-macbook-air-17ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

I got this same computer 3 years ago when it was new, cost me $500 more! Still love it. Was considering getting something a bit newer since I'm doing more video editing now. But to get anything with better specs costs some real money…. the top of the line Mini only has about a 15% better benchmark and costs between $1200-$1700 depending on configuration. So I am sticking with my 2013 MBA, I still get very good battery life.

However, the OP says he wants the 13" model….

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi Id purchase the new MacBook Air once its released! I bought in winter of twenty fifteen and it had the old OS at that time!

angrytoothbrush

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Wow, you're right, have not seen any 2013 models there for awhile: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...nch-macbook-air-17ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

I got this same computer 3 years ago when it was new, cost me $500 more! Still love it. Was considering getting something a bit newer since I'm doing more video editing now. But to get anything with better specs costs some real money…. the top of the line Mini only has about a 15% better benchmark and costs between $1200-$1700 depending on configuration. So I am sticking with my 2013 MBA, I still get very good battery life.

However, the OP says he wants the 13" model….

I was just going to say... Always scour the refurb page daily if trying to get fresher models on the cheap.

Reactions: Boyd01

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I got tired of waiting and am going to pick one up from Best Buy with the student coupon. It's capable enough to do what I need, sims 4, general browsing, music, light Steam games.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What have been the historical trends? I haven't followed it closely enough. Over time do the prices of existing models creep down and the new model comes out at essentially the original price point as the prior model like an iphone? $199...then $99...then $1 when the new model comes out at $199 (through cellular carriers).

fwiw...looking at the 13" with 256GB model.
Best Buy has regular sales on the MBA. If you can take advantage of the additional student discount if offered at the same time as a sale, then that would be the way to go IMO. In June 2014 I bought a new 4GB/128GB 11" MBA for $450 out-the-door by stacking those deals.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
hi Id purchase the new MacBook Air once its released! I bought in winter of twenty fifteen and it had the old OS at that time!
And why would that be a problem? I just update it, done.

I doubt there will be an update of the Air anytime soon (or at all). The Air as a refurb as mentioned above is excellent value for money. How the poster above got the baseline 11" (great machine by the way) for $450 is beyond me though...

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
I got tired of waiting and I dont trust Apple to give the respect it deserves. My wife bought me the current 13 inch model (on sale) and it's fantastic, perfect I everyday for my needs (writing, development, light graphics and desktop publishing and general computing)

Great performance in a great form factor.

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
And why would that be a problem? I just update it, done.

hi I imagine Apple stands to upgrade a couple of its computers details! For one the lack of switch to dim the light of the screen; currently it takes many presses; I thought of that on reading your post; there are two others Im not able to remember at the moment; its probably a curse if I cant remember a thing that Im eager to talk over .

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
hi I imagine Apple stands to upgrade a couple of its computers details! For one the lack of switch to dim the light of the screen; currently it takes many presses; I thought of that on reading your post; there are two others Im not able to remember at the moment; its probably a curse if I cant remember a thing that Im eager to talk over .
I was actually referring to your complaint about it being delivered with an older OS.

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
I was actually referring to your complaint about it being delivered with an older OS.
hi Your comment makes no sense to me . "Actually"? Speak up man . If you mean that youd like a Mac with all the bells and whistles then I assume Apple is going to improve on its designs a bit . Only thing is; I dont know when that will be .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.