Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeramiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2015
So here's my story: I have a mid 2012 13" MBA that started to show some age on the battery. I ordered a new battery from iFixIt. Battery showed up, I installed it and everything was hunky dory. Hunky dory until this morning when the machine would not stay alive unless it was plugged in. The battery checked out normal and was fully charged. I reset the PRAM but the computer would only work plugged in. I called iFixIt and they said El Capitan is causing havoc with their 3rd party batteries and they would send me a refund.

Ok, this is all fine, but I still need a battery, so I called my local Apple Store which is 60 miles away and told them my problem and they said that since I opened the case they wouldn't order me an Apple OEM battery and they would refuse to work on it. Nice. I have to say I was impressed with that awesome level of douchebaggery. It takes some heavy sour balls to tell a loyal customer to shag off. Anyway, I need an Apple OEM battery so my question is: does anyone have any ideas as to where I can buy one? Thanks

Daniva

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
Italy
Why did you perform an NVRAM reset? You've to try with an SMC reset.

System Management Controller reset on Macs with an unremovable battery like your MBA:
  1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Press and hold the keys until the led on MagSafe changes colour or temporarily turns off
  5. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac

Last edited:

Jeramiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Why did you perform an NVRAM reset? You've to try with an SMC reset.

System Management Controller reset on Macs with an unremovable battery like your MBA:
  1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Press and hold the keys until the led on MagSafe changes colour or temporarily turns off
  5. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac
Hey Daniva. Thanks for the help. Resetting the SMC solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.