Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Talevski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Macedonia
Hello guys, I have macbook air 2012 but I have some problems, I've got scratches on the screen from the keyboard, so my questions is, Is there anything should use to clean that or like mask it, its not so visible. Does will help any screen gels to cover something ? I have like keyboard on the screen from scratches...
Any help are welcome!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
How come the keyboard when you close the lid is touching the screen? That shouldn't happen.
Is the battery getting bloat? That's a scary thought.. the battery is a bit older, maybe it's ready for a replacement?

Just asking .. to see why the keyboard would even touch the screen

Talevski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Macedonia
How come the keyboard when you close the lid is touching the screen? That shouldn't happen.
Is the battery getting bloat? That's a scary thought.. the battery is a bit older, maybe it's ready for a replacement?

I have noooo idea...
The condition of the battery is "Normal"

Snappers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
I've seen this before on my MBA and it ended up just being built up dirt/grease/grime from the keyboard that had become imprinted on the screen when the lid is closed. I know, gross.

Try turning off the MBA and giving the keyboard a good wipe down and clean the screen with a clean lint free cloth (you don't want to scratch the glass with a dirty cloth) and a small amount of glass cleaner or warm water.

After that, focus cleaning the areas of the screen that still have the dirt until it is all wiped away. Small circular wipes focused on the problem areas is most effective, but don't apply too much pressure on the screen while doing this. Sometimes this dried up gunk takes time and patience to remove until it is fully dissolved by the cleaner/water.

You will be rewarded with your effort with a clean screen and the keyboard imprint will be gone.

Talevski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Macedonia
I've seen this before on my MBA and it ended up just being built up dirt/grease/grime from the keyboard that had become imprinted on the screen when the lid is closed. I know, gross.

Try turning off the MBA and giving the keyboard a good wipe down and clean the screen with a clean lint free cloth (you don't want to scratch the glass with a dirty cloth) and a small amount of glass cleaner or warm water.

After that, focus cleaning the areas of the screen that still have the dirt until it is all wiped away. Small circular wipes focused on the problem areas is most effective, but don't apply too much pressure on the screen while doing this. Sometimes this dried up gunk takes time and patience to remove until it is fully dissolved by the cleaner/water.

You will be rewarded with your effort with a clean screen and the keyboard imprint will be gone.
photo-png.324575

its something like this, i dont think its some kind of dirt or something...

Snappers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
Well, if you can, give it a good wipe down anyway and see what happens. If you see any improvement, even a little, you'll know for sure it is just dirt and therefore an easy fix. From what I can tell in the pic, it looks like maybe the space bar is what is touching the screen?

The person in this post had a similar problem and it was indeed scratched, but looks way worse than yours:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2015-rmbp-screen-scratched-by-keyboard.1945130/

That person had the screen replaced under warranty but it happened again shortly after. Replies to that post suggest that the keyboard is sitting too high due to misalignment from the factory. Since yours is a 2012 model, it may be too late to have any repairs done under warranty, but definitely something you might want to check out or at least take it to an Apple store to see what they can do for you or what they would recommend.

To answer your original question, I don't know of anything you could use to mask the damaged appearance, sorry. Auto body scratch cover-up, or even WD-40 comes to mind, but I don't think that would work for scratched display. Hope someone else here is able to come up with a better solution for you.

Reactions: Talevski

Talevski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Macedonia
Well, if you can, give it a good wipe down anyway and see what happens. If you see any improvement, even a little, you'll know for sure it is just dirt and therefore an easy fix. From what I can tell in the pic, it looks like maybe the space bar is what is touching the screen?

The person in this post had a similar problem and it was indeed scratched, but looks way worse than yours:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2015-rmbp-screen-scratched-by-keyboard.1945130/

That person had the screen replaced under warranty but it happened again shortly after. Replies to that post suggest that the keyboard is sitting too high due to misalignment from the factory. Since yours is a 2012 model, it may be too late to have any repairs done under warranty, but definitely something you might want to check out or at least take it to an Apple store to see what they can do for you or what they would recommend.

To answer your original question, I don't know of anything you could use to mask the damaged appearance, sorry. Auto body scratch cover-up, or even WD-40 comes to mind, but I don't think that would work for scratched display. Hope someone else here is able to come up with a better solution for you.
Thank you for your advice, ill give it a try

peteloaf

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
I can confirm I had the same mark on my screen but turned out to be dirt/grease from the keys. Remember to clean the keys too while your at it.

Reactions: bernuli

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011

If you put your laptop in a bag. Then someone puts their bag on top of your bag, depending on how heavy their bag is, then the screen and keys can come into contact.

I use a backpack for my laptop and always put it down with the bag/machine oriented vertical to reduce the multi bag pile up.

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
If you put your laptop in a bag. Then someone puts their bag on top of your bag, depending on how heavy their bag is, then the screen and keys can come into contact.

I use a backpack for my laptop and always put it down with the bag/machine oriented vertical to reduce the multi bag pile up.
fair enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.